I have my CDL A license and I want to go back on the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sminor81, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Sminor81

Sminor81 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I have my CDL license but I have not drove in 4 yrs how can I go about it on returning to work otr I don't have no clue

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location and how much experience do you have?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will need a Medical DOT exam that is valid, which then can be attached to your license.

You will then need to swear to a Tier One Document saying you intend to enter Intrastate and interstate commerce. Im assuming you are grandfathered under a sworn and signed Tier two or similar document that specifically excludes your CDL from being downgraded to car license without a current valid Medical card.

You will need refresher course probably a company that sends you to orientation will send you to that time to get caught up and updated.

You probably are close to renewal. You need to prepare your documents to support the enhanced 2020 real ID rules and the current CDL rules in required documentation such as utility bills in your name going back some months for residency etc.

REMEMBER after 2020 those people who did not upgrade to enhanced licenses WILL BE DENIED all DOMESTIC FLIGHTS and ALL FEDERAL INSTALLATIONS including VA, Court Houses, Military Bases etc. And they will most likely be denied Canada period until they have a gold star on the license (Whatever it is...) and a fast pass card or passport.

You will be involved in getting a Fast Card, and probably a Passport for Canada etc.

Your Hazmat endorsement, if you hold one will have to be renewed when you successfully retest for it in writing etc. As will your other endorsements, It is far better to already have this than to have to submit to a TSA/Homeland face to face interview among other things to get a Hazmat endorsement. It will take a couple of months before they decide it's ok for the state to issue that to you.

You will need to apply for and get TWIC. To gain access to seaports and other very high value installations around the USA. Without that TWIC you will NOT be able to enter that gate and complete your pick up or delivery.

You will need a accounting for ALL time employed or not going back 7 to 10 years. Even if you stayed home raising children, write that in for example. No gaps are allowed in your time accounting, Homeland is indirectly interested in this information.

Your employers past must be current and updated information if they are still in business.

You need to visit your DMV asap and learn what is required to renew your CDL, seeing you had it 4 years now. They are usually good for what? 5 years? If you DO NOT have a medical card you WILL be downgraded to a Car license UNLESS you are grandfathered by your state under the Tier system within it's matrix.

Pay for your own DOT exam with a DOT listed qualified doctor on your own. ANY issues that come up you need to take care of it.

If you are taking medicine, stop it. There is literally hardly no tolerance for anything as of Jan 1 this year, even tynenol PM or mouthwash with alcohol is banned. Document especially recent prescriptions for pain medicine and prove that you have been off them 7 times halflife period of last dose taken. (And who prescribed and why)

If you are taking any medicine for anxiety or other mental health, stop it. You will find it a challenge in order to even be allowed to touch a truck with those kinds of medicines.

And on and on and on.

You need to build up money to pay for your renewal school time tuition, You will need to build up a month or two in savings so that you can never incur debt borrowing money from your company, indeed excerssive borrowing will get you fired.

If you are in a state with rec pot or medical pot (You cannot have DOT card if you are sick enough to be given med pot anyway) you will want to wait up to a year to get it out of your hair literally before you attempt a drug test.

A hot drug test, refused drug test, leaving a location of a drug test or any issues with drug tests like drinking excessive liquids etc. WILL be certain to ensure you will not be allowed to touch a 18 wheeler without going through a SAP program (At your expense) up to a year with more tests to prove compliance and drug free. Your personal life does not matter. You must be drug free to touch a semi. Or you will find yourself completely cut off from this industry.

If you are clean and have nothing on your DMV driving record all these years you have nothing to worry about. Make sure to check your previous trucking employers through DAC, hireright, PSP etc. And check to be sure you are not under a Blacklist which varies by state laws. (I am in one state which allowed verbal saying of that word but not in writing)

You probably will be sent to school to learn how to drive a truck all over again. HOWEVER... MAKE SURE your school has a Manual transmission truck so if you have to take a driving test do it in a Manual 18 wheeler. Many if not all states put a ban against drivers who only test in a automatic truck so that they cannot get hired in companies that don't have manual trucks. That really hurts a already bad situation.

If you already have a CDL you should not need as much "Hand holding" to get back to speed. Things have changed and changed again such as in my State you are now required to certify by witness you have recieved anti trafficking training which for us here consists of a short video. Once the state gets that cert they add that to a pile of papers you have to turn in in order to get a new CDL or renew one.

I can go on. But I think that's enough for now. Others will chime in.

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Did you ever drive with your CDL? Or did you get it four years ago, and never used it? The answer to that question is the starting point of your search.

Find companies near you, and start applying. Good luck.

x1Heavy and Puppage Thank this.
  6. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    WOw!!! Thank god i'm current!!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.