I have seen people say no to taking a 1099 job

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marvelousmack, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Maybe it's just me, but I have never thought of OOs when I hear the term 1099 driver! In the parlance I grew up with OOs were thought of as "leased". While it is correct most OOs are contractors (leased) and their payments are reported to the IRS on 1099s I just never heard the term "1099 driver" used to describe an OO. To me, a 1099 driver is someone that is contracted to drive transient equipment and/or operate a company-owned rig as a contractor. In the future, I will try to be careful to articulate this difference better!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    driving someone else’s truck getting paid as a 1099 and almost always you will get screwed.

working 1099 anywhere means you are getting screwed unless you’re getting paid at least double what a normal company employee getting paid on a W2 would get paid to do the same task

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Dockbumper Thanks this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Well said!:D

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To the op, and anyone else how has been offered a 1099 job ....

read this carefully ...

if you are offered a job that is a 1099, there has to be a contract.

This contract will spell out responsibilities of the carrier and the driver, it will define the needs of the carrier and it will spell out without any ambiguity how much people are paid.

if there is no contract, don’t even bother with the job.

you ask for it right up front, if they say no you can’t have a copy, walk away.

The assumed bad ... Yes you will pay all the taxes but you should make more money with the arrangement, and yes you can refuse work unless it is spelled out in the contract you are servicing specific customers.

being a 1099 driver does not mean you are leased to a carrier, that is a completely different arrangement.

too much crap is being said about 1099 drivers, from being illegal to every driver getting screwed.

Without context to the situation, most are repeating things they are told or heard.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Jamesway9648

Jamesway9648 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Averaging $0.90 a mile on 1099 pulling reefer. I have 35 years W2 driving so I am fully vested in Social Security and have a retirement from last company I got released from. This February will be the first time doing taxes on a 1099 so we will see how that goes

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Well said. They pay you like a contractor, treat you like a enslaved employee.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

AI high percentage of first-time 1099 drivers only learn they should have been saving money from each paycheck to pay taxes after they get a bill from the IRS. They spend months feeling like they found the fountain of youth, because their "paycheck" could be 20-30% higher than a similar W-2 job. Then they file a tax return and get the hammer from the IRS. My rule of thumb when comparing 1099 pay to W-2 pay is subtract 20-30% from the 1099 pay. If 70-80% of that 1099 pay isn't higher than similar W-2 pay why bother? Most W-2 jobs provide some sort of health insurance. 1099 jobs do not.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  9. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Only situation I see a 1099 possibly work would be at or in retirement with retirement fully funded. But the second I didn't like something, I would be gone. Shut the truck off, I'm out of here. Were it stops is were you will find it. You owe no loyalty to a company that pays you 1099. Zero.

If you wanna be independent, buy a truck.

If wanna be a employee. W2 employee is the route.

Stop allowing companies to pay you as a sub contractor and treat you like a employee.

10. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I'm a Independent Owner Op. Every customer issues 1099. Well should. Found alot that has stopped. But that is there tax problem.

If I pay a contractor, painter, carpenter, mechanic anything after 600 dollars. I should sent them a 1099 at the end of year to.

11. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Just. Say. No……

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.