I just dropped out of truck school, did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Nighthawk268, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Nighthawk268

Nighthawk268 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2013
    So last year I got laid off from my route sales rep job that I loved so much. Part of it was driving that box truck on the open highway for 80 miles everyday. But I also loved being home every night. I do have four kids and a wife, so I valued my home time as well. However the company shut down and I have been out of work since Nov 30th. The unemployment work source offered to give me a grant to go into a trucking school and get my CDL. They told me I would have no problem getting a local gig with my excperience and not worry about OTR. Which is something I dont want to do.

Anyways I went for it and soon became very unhappy. I had horrid anxiety, they started me out right in busy traffic with no manual transmission knowledge. So I stalled in traffic and caused issues with the flow of traffic. The instructor would yell, curse, and put his hands on me if I did something wrong. He would tear down any confidence I had by saying remarks like "the other students are doing better than you".

To make things worse, they only had two working trucks and four students per truck. I would sit for hours before getting a turn to drive that lasted only for an hour. While everyone would be talking in the back and making remarks...

In the afternoon we would spend all day waiting for a turn to learn backing.. Which the other students would all be watching you and pointing and laughing if you screwed up. I would say that only 3 hours of a ten hour class I would actually be doing something while the rest was standing around waiting for a turn.

I only had two weeks to go but couldn't deal with it anymore and lost the point of it due to the fact I dont want to do OTR. I also became already depressed being away from my kids and wife while just in school. My kids are all 5 and under and would cry when I left for school. I couldn't handle it.

So I dropped out and now feel like a quiter and a disapointment to my family. Even if I got my CDL the chances of getting a local gig are next to none. I dont know what will happen to my unemployment since i dropped from their training grant. So im worried I screwed myself and family.

Did I do the right thing? I dont want to be on welfare either. I would love to get back into trucking when my kids are older and dont have so many medical issues that weigh on me so bad. Im just 28 and very lost. I often think about going to our community college and taking courses. Any advice? Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Truckin is hard when u have kids. I would do something else spend that time with ur family. It's an important part of the kids life right now. This is when you start teaching them things. 4 kids is a lot and young. Work at a gas station if u have too.

4. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well honey if you cant handle being away from you family just while you were in school, there is no way you could handle being otr...and i wouldnt recommend otr for anyone with young kids anway....sounds like thats not what you want to do anyway

as for the instructor treating you like that, i would report him...thats not acceptable..and you are there to LEARN, you arent gonna be perfect..some catch on quicker than others

if you have alrdy dropped out, kinda late to ask if you are doing the right thing or not,. BUT, its not up to us ....its your life and family and you have to do what YOU think is best....we are not in your shoes, nor do we know all the circumstances...

hope ya find what ya need to take care of your family...and soon....dont sit around, get busy finding something else to do instead of stressing and worrying if you did the wrong thing...its over...move forward dont make it worse by not finding a job to care for your family

5. Real Deal

Real Deal Medium Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Saint George UT
    Sounds to me like you definitely dont have any business driving a class 8 truck. You should be required to pay back that grant money and lose any welfare benefits. If I needed work I would do whatever it took to get paid and support my family.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    You did the right thing. You recognize it is not for you. Look into other career options.

7. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Probably not the right thing to do, but only you really know. Like Giggles said, you need to make sure you talk to someone about the the instructor. With the verbal stuff I don't think anyone is going to give you much support. I am concerned he put his hands on you and that may be where you have an argument to quit. An issue may be whether or not you talked with his supervisor or asked him not to touch you. It's a bit late now to walk back your decision. Talk to the folks at the employment office and forge ahead with life. It's not the end.

8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    so what do you do now? yep, if ya cant handle a truck school now you could handle driving every day.

perhaps you could drink some concrete and harden up, imagine the crying the kids will do when they are hungry , th epower gets turned off, etc. you quit for yourself , not your kids. a man does what he has to do to provide, you laid down on em, get back up, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and get any job available to provide. but at 28 with 4 kids and no job prospects, the first to do is keep it in your pants.

and remember , now that you got 4 kids and a wife it doesn't make a rats behind what you WANT to do, its what you HAVE to do, quit yer whining and get with the program

9. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    So you would waste your only experience at life doing something you don't want to do for a dollar bill?

10. Twicebit

Twicebit Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Pretty harsh, dude, most people don't respond well to this kind of stuff when they're down. I think he needs to be encouraged to stand..., not smacked.

Nighthawk268, when I was in trucking school years ago, my instructor was terrible. He did not know how to "teach", but just ridicule when I wasn't shifting well. He treated me very badly, yelling and just being a jerk. I became so frustrated and discouraged yet knew if I had a good instructor that I could learn to shift. On my off time I called around and finally spoke to a guy at another trucking school who assured me with kindness in his voice that he could teach me to shift. We agreed that I would pay him $200. With Good instruction he had me shifting up and down through the gears within two hours! I was so thankful! So I continued on in my training with the first company and earned my CDL.

One thing to consider: Yes, I know you don't want to go OTR, however, if you were to buck up, get through school and drive otr for a year, supporting your family, then you probably could get a good local job. Sure it would be difficult to be away from your family, but the bills would get paid and you and your family would have the hope of being reunited soon. Think of military families who's dad goes to Afghanistan for a tour, as an example. Sure its hard, and painful, and the kids cry when he leaves, but it will end and that soldier will be reunited with his family. You might consider walking back into this school before too much time passes, hat in hand and very humble, and ask to become a student again. Say what ever you have to, apologize even, though its not your fault. Then do what I did. Borrow the money if you need to. IMO, people from competing trucking schools would love to hear your brief story about a turd instructor who can't teach. I'll bet you could find an instructor just like I did, who can teach you how to shift. We know you love to drive because you loved your job driving the straight truck. I'd encourage you to go for it. You can do this; I know you can!

Nighthawk268 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  11. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    LOUD& CLEAR..YOU SHOULD NIT DRIVE...BUT YOU QUIT..AND HV NO JOB..SO NOW ITS WELFAIR..AND U CAN BE HOME ALL DAY PLAYING video games ..I HV NO sympathy FOR A GUT WHO WONT SUCK IT UP FOR HIS FAMILY...I HV KUDS TOO..I HATE IT OUT HERE SOMETYMS ..WHEN IM AWAY FROM MY WIFE..IT BREAKS MY HEART WHEN IM HONE AND MY WIFE CRTS WHEN I HV TO LEAVE..BUT GUESS WHAT SHE KNOWS AND I KNOW I HV TO WORK..CAUSE I DONT HV NO BODY WANTING TO PAY MY BILLS..AND I DONT DOVWELFAIR CAUSE I CAN WORK..OHHH AND ANOTHER THING..IM STILL PAYING MY CREDIT CARD $4000.00FOR MY CDL SCHOOL..U WAS GIVEN A GRANT& SOME ONE ELSE WHO NEED IT WONT GET ONE...CAUSE U BLEW IT..WOW FOUR KIDS..AND U HV MO BALLS.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.