I just dropped out of truck school, did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Nighthawk268, Apr 29, 2013.

1. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    HELLO IT US I SAMMMY...LOL...HOSS7071...LOL...I AM FAR FROM illiterate ,,HOW EVER I DO AGREE MY SPELLING HAS ALWAYS SUCKED..LOL..AS FAR AS MY my credentials ..R OUT STANDING..OH AND I AM educated ..JUST CANT SPELL FOR CRAP...LOL...I ALSO HV A tenancy TO QUIKLY TALK CRAP FOR A MOMENT ON A SORE SUBJECT THAT COMES UP FROM TYM TO TYM..I AM WORKING ON THIS AFTER ALL NO ONE IS PERFECT...ALSO I DID COME DOWN TO HARD ON THAT GUY..I AGREE ALL..SORRY DUDE..PULL IT TOGETHER...OK BACK TO THE HOOSS...RELAX BRO...THE NAMES U SAY R HATEFUL WORDS...NO NEED FOR SUCH ANGER ..*******SEE I CAN ADMIT WHEN IM WRONG,AND I CANT SPELL..LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    I guess you forgot that you came on here asking for advice regarding whether or not you made the right decision quitting your training that you were just about to finish.

I believe you wanted people to reassure you that quitting was the right decision, and when that didn't happen, you decided to change your story a little. As far as you getting mad at people that are offering an opinion THAT YOU ASKED For ........ Well it's not us that had to lie to our spouse about why we had to quit trucking school ( i doubt she knows the truth, just YOUR side) and now is trying to convince wifey that everything is going to be ok............we dont have to because WE ALL HAVE A JOB IN OUR BACK POCKET (aka: CDL)

I didn't wanna get on the "trucking isn't for you" bandwagon.... But dude: that bandwagon is correct.

4. lelou

lelou Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Interesting thread...

Here's my take on this. Trucking is hard enough, OTR or local, but you were lacking the most important ingredient to success: You must WANT it bad enough!

You and I must have had the same instructor, we most certainly had the same truck, right down to the dashboard. After my first 3 driving sessions w/ him, he had me convinced that there was no way in H... I was going to make it. Skipping the details, I went to the administrator and demanded a different instructor for the rest of the class. After all, I'm paying for this!

You were given the chance to earn a FREE CDL and quit w/ 2 weeks left! OUCH!! Yes, there are lots of local jobs w/ no OTR experience you can get, from city bus to dump truck, not to mention dock work or the food industry.

If it were me, I'd have stuck it out, but then again, I WANT it. Bad instructors, crummy trucks are fairly common. Once you have your cdl in hand, that's when the real training begins. These schools only teach you enough to get the license anyway.

If you decide to go back, do your homework on schools. Mine is 1 on 1 in the truck w/ the instructor. Also, the school has contacts w/ lots of local co's and many students go straight to local jobs w/out ever going OTR.

BTW, after 15 minutes w/ the new instructor, I had regained confidence and was up and down shifting no problems. Now, if only I could get the parallel parking right!

Giggles the Original and TAK12LLC Thank this.
  5. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Seriously????? I'm speechless reading this post. You HAVE to do whatever necessary to provide for your family. Get 1,2, or 3 jobs if you have to. Go to college and work. Do something legit to take care of your family.

6. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.
    Back in the cabover days i remember talikng to a Goodwill bellringer one year at Christmas time, he told me that he his wife and kids were living at a Goodwill shelter. I told him that my company had a driving school that was free if he stayed at the company for a year and that he could easily earn $600 to $700 a week back in the 80s which was pretty good money back then and be home weekly.

The guy said he couldnt be away from his family that much...I told him I hoped that they were happ living at Goodwill because it sounded like they would be there a while.

How does this relate to the OP?

You need to man up and do whatever it takes to provide for your family...that is your responsibility.
    I'll admit that you do need a certain mindset and aptitude to drive a truck for a living and i dont know if you have it or not, but you dont sound like someone who can be depended on when things get tough and nobody is around to help you.

That said I also think that you should pay back the tuition and be cut off of unemployment...think about it...the school was probably $4K and you quit b/c your feelings got hurt.

Im tired of paying over $10K a year in taxes just to hear about it getting wasted.

My personal view about how the trucking industry went to hell was tne Govt paying for "displaced workers" that dont have a clue to go to driving school for free.

7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    QUOTE[Back in the cabover days i remember talikng to a Goodwill bellringer one year at Christmas time, he told me that he his wife and kids were living at a Goodwill shelter. I told him that my company had a driving school that was free if he stayed at the company for a year and that he could easily earn $600 to $700 a week back in the 80s which was pretty good money back then and be home weekly.

The guy said he couldnt be away from his family that much...I told him I hoped that they were happ living at Goodwill because it sounded like they would be there a while.]QUOTE

Great point , if our government would require those folks that wind up unemployed/laid -off to report once a week that they are actively searching for employment , or they are trying to get training for an up-graded position PLUS if they do not report to the EEOC they forfeit their benefits for 90 days , I think some/most would go out and try harder....our government has actually made it more lucrative in many instances to be UN-employed vs in the workforce.....

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  8. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    They do require that in MO for unemployment you just have to sin in on the office computer stating you were there then every 3 months you have to do a unemployment job hunt interview to keep your benefits.

9. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    That is sure better than nothing....

10. Twicebit

Twicebit Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Shoot, I was lookin fwd to Giggles crackin down a bit on the name calling and such! :biggrin_25524:

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

where is this sex talk forum?? sounds titillating

truckon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.