I leased 2019 kenworth T680, 5 year term! Pls input your opinions!

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by MightySingh, Aug 4, 2021.

1. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Sorry, but you got screwed. Your going to have a tough time making any money in this. Good luck.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Hate to say it, but you're not gonna make it. You'll be walking bowlegged for years on that screwin

4. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    is this lease through scotlynn i hope not for your sake . truck now has 559.000 miles and it’s a 5 year lease then at the end of 5 years it’s 40k to buy it out lol . truck will have close to a million miles on it and you better hope the engine doesn’t need a rebuild or the emissions stuff doesn’t crap out on you because that’s a sh$t ton of money you’re looking at now . run don’t walk this is a nightmare waiting to happen

if i were to ever lease a truck it better be brand new with a warranty the emissions crap on these truck is just to expensive

Russell The Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Did they throw in a tube of grease when you signed the lease or just give it to you dry ??

6. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    I hope there was no downpayment with this scam of a lease... Get the stuff fixed and start working. The next 5 years are going to be hell, good luck bud.

Last Call Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Wow, I didnt think there could be a deal that bad. You my friend, got screwed. I wound even know what to tell you. Long before your done the payments that truck is going to need major repairs, they all do, but an emission truck, well..X10.. if you can get out of it, do it. If you have no mechanical experience or smarts,..... and this goes to every driver,........if you have no mechanical smarts, and can't at least make sure your not getting screwed when you BUY the truck, how will you keep from getting a reaming ever time you take it somewhere for service?
    Drive a company truck, it will be less stress.

8. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

problem is you now need to be a computer wizard to work on the new trucks with all the bs electronics and sensors. but i do agree anyone planning to buy a truck should be able to work on it because having to go to a dealer all the time will bankrupt you

Russell The Trucker Thanks this.
  9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    You dont have to work on it, just have a good understanding of how it works so you know when your being led down the garden path. And... have a glider kit. Much simpler.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Well, it could be worse...

Your $914 payment includes money cost, so if we do a little reverse math with a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess because I don't have the present value nor the interest rate), we get:
    • $40,000 future value (buyout; is that accurate? Hmm...)
    • $914 payment
    • 130 bi-weekly periods (26 per year, 130 in 5 years)
    • $? present value @ ? interest cost...
      • 6%: $132,195
      • 8%: $124,638
      • (I have no idea what current lease or borrowing rates are and I'm going to guess they're not in the agreement you signed, but you absolutely should know them)

A quick perusal of the Truck Paper, shows 70 listings (none in Canada) for 2019 T680 with 300,000-400,000 miles (559,000 km = 347,000 miles) with avg. CAD of $111,862 auction (3) and $128,386 retail (67) with highest of $131,926 and $162,314, respectively. I would expect to pay more for a Canadian truck.

So, value-wise, you're kind of right in the average of retail (unless I'm way off on current lease interest rates), BUT... not everything works! If I'm paying retail I expect EVERYTHING to work; if I'm buying auction I would expect a few things not to work, but repair costs would be factored into my bid.

The good news is that the full lease payment is deductible as opposed to depreciating the cost of the truck when buying.

Whether it is ultimately a good deal depends on a lot of factors, but any "hidden" information or surprises (like; "we know that doesn't work and it's your cost to fix it") are cause for concern.

Two other considerations, both regarding your $2,500 holdback:
    1. I would be willing to guarantee you will never see that money again, even if you walk away now.
    2. In five-ish years, $2,500 is a lot less than $40,000.

As a rule, I strongly recommend against any carrier lease-purchase program.

As always, YMMV.

11. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The irony in this post is ''ironic'' I guess I'd better learn to do math.
    SORRY for the confusion.

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.