I live in California and I have a question?........

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sinister310, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    What's the problem you can live in any state you want. You can't just pick any state to run your business out of because they have low taxes. Everyone would be doing that. If you had a big business you can setup in any state you want pay taxes and stuff for that state You can live in any state you want any fly home to. Your not that big so just move or live in California and pay the taxes. Someone has to pay for all the stuff California like to spend money on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Ive done exactly what you want to do. You can setup your business and authority in any state you want. Setup your company with a business address, file for your authority and lease yourself onto your authority. You will need to plate the truck in whatever state you reside in. The DOT requires you to keep your records at your place of business, or be able to bring them there for an audit. So maybe you have to make a trip to Wyoming or Nevada, wherever it may be. Big deal. The benefits of your business being in a state other than California far outweigh a trip to another state for an audit.

I had setup as a foreign corp in California in order to run intrastate, but dissolved it recently. It's not worth it.

As far as AB5, simply don't have your company based in California. Nevada and Wyoming have the best corporate laws. You just can't run intrastate in California and then you dont have to deal with AB5.

South Dakota is the easiest to change your CDL too. I did it. They are very nomad friendly. It takes a mail service with South Dakota address, one night in a hotel with that address on your bill, and $33 to get your SD CDL. Total cost to move my license to SD was less than $300, and I got to see Mount Rushmore while I was there.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @GraniteRiver - someone posted recently that in Nevada it's easy and you leave your business certificate, or whatever it's called, in some office in Nevada and that's all.
    There's a recent post on that somewhere.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. Sinister310

Sinister310 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Thank you!!!!

6. Sinister310

Oct 18, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Thanks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The AB5 is a threat to CA's truckers and it's worth it to just shake the dust off and leave that state. Take everything with you. It's not something to be upset over. The AB5 is passed and I'll bet the ranch that CA will move on to other bills that will eviscerate the industry further.

One of the best things about trucking is that you are mobile. If a particular location like CA turns sour really badly as it is doing now You can go to another part of the USA and get going.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. Sinister310

Oct 18, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Good advise....Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.