I Made a Stupid Mistake - I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JimmyBones, Jul 9, 2011.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Mine go on without me moving which is why I asked...I have SS's...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    With no new info,

it's hard to help much.......

Post once, then disappear,..........

Hello !!!!!!

4. roadkill4512

roadkill4512 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2008
    Lancaster,PA
    Company truck= company decision concerning truck.

You got yourself in trouble making a typical rookie mistake. Getting stuck is a rather minor problem that while it costs the company money is not a real threat to your job.

Unhooking from your trailer is a bad idea unless you get expressed (qualcomm) permission to do so, even when empty and on your hometime.

You drastically escalated your problem when you tried to have Joe Smoe passerby pull you out without alerting your employer you had a situation. The damage caused by the extraction attempt puts you in a "no-lie" situation.

First rule of holes: if you want to get out of a hole, stop digging. You got to come clean. Tell your company what happen let them make the decision as to how to get their truck out and how they (or you) will pay for it. If they do fire you, it will not be for making a rookie parking mistake. If they choose to fire you it will be for trying to hide it from them and making decisions about their truck on your own while keeping them out of the loop. The fact that you called them and didn't tell them the whole story the first time really jeopardizes your chances of staying on. If they decide to keep you it's likely you will have to pay for the bumper damage and be on probation for 6 months.

If they do fire you it is not the end of your trucking career, just a blackmark on your DAC and driving resume. Learn your lesson now and from now on know your employer's policies and SOPs concerning parking and care of their property and always keep them in the loop concerning their equipment or any situational problems.

5. fasteddieu

fasteddieu Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2011
    If your ever able to get hooked back up to the trailer a large farm tractor would be able to pull you out. One helped me out once. Thats if any are around of course. Best of luck!

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Well, we had a truck near his location a short while ago.

Maybe if he posts again, if we go out that way later, we could help him.

Back at the petro now.........

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Another trick to use is just a chain and a solid object not too far away from the truck. The tractor needs to have rims that have slots cut in them and you can use the drives as a winch. You run the chain under the tractor and hook the chain in the middle of the duals so it will wind up counter clockwise. Hook the other end to the stationary object. Check to make sure you will not damage any parts on the underside of the tractor. Slowly drive the truck a couple of feet. You need to use extreme caution because you don't want to bind up the chain in the duals. I've used this methods many times on back dirt roads using a tree for an anchor. Maybe or maybe not this can help the current OP but I think he's gone beyond this method. It's much easier when it's just the tractor and you can go in reverse.

8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    This guy has been around the block a few times. His posts are rock solid. Use this method to pull hitch hikers(rocks) out from the duels driving gravel trucks too.

mtnMoma, GasHauler and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Jimmy's out in his yard with a jack and a shovel. He'll be around after supper.

BigJohn54 and 123456 Thank this.
  10. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I just hope he doen't shell his power divider spinning.

No, lucky me, it never happened to me but I was warned about it. The few times I did get stuck, usually on ice trying to drop or pickup a trailer, it was foremost on my mind and I limited my spinning.

11. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Here is some advice to all newbies. Never, ever, ever leave the pavement in a big rig unless you are fully prepared to pay upwards of $700.00 to get back on!

Pmracing and JimmyBones Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.