I need an automated bill paying method, NOT automatic deductions from checking account.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Apr 19, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

One of the main reasons why my credit score is off the charts is because of autopay. I have so many bills that need to be made, and I can’t waste my time chasing after them every week. Autopay saves a ton of time and frustration.

A few years back, I tried using a separate bank account to handle other matters, but it did not work for me. It turned out to be another chore to maintain the account fully funded. Right now I only have one bank account and one credit card (which pays itself in full every month). By the way, I use my credit card for online purchases/payments only. Experts do not recommend using your debit card online.

I mentioned that I go over my statements, and I understand why some don’t want to. A lot of times there is a long list of things we don’t remember what they were anymore. The solution is to save all receipts, and if you’re a regional or OTR driver, pay cash for everything, except large purchases. Aside from simplifying your bank statement, this also reduces the likelihood someone may steal your credit/debit card information. Yes, I do carry a coin pouch, and I no longer care what anyone thinks. Oh, and it’s very common to get one or two pennies for free when they can’t give you exact change.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You’ll be fine using autopay.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I write paper checks to those who will definately dip into the ACH checking account.

The paper checks are written to a checking account that gets recharged every 3 months from the main account.

The check writing billpaying account ends at Zero. When I finish writing checks for that month there is .60 cents in that checking account. There is no ACH possible, no overdraft possible. Zero means all stop. Anything that tries to breach zero is refused. (Aka hot check that is now prosecuted)

The reason they do not prosecute me is because the bank has instructions to draw from a savings account balance which is texted to me instantly over the phone that minute. I go to bank and find out who took how much and when. Usually is a creditor fed up with my manual payments and want all their money today. That gets contested as unauthorized, clawed back and Im made whole. Creditor is unhappy. Accounts changed to a new one, old batch of bad checks destroyed. That creditor removed from payment of bills manually with a single cash payment off, and no future checks are written to them. (No more business done with them either)

When I was trucking I had zero bills to pay. With the one exception of my first apartment. I was working locally that year home every night. If I got home too late to cash the paper check at the bank, I stopped by the check cashing place and cashed my 600 dollars or so for 6.00 fee on a friday night.

When I got married in the late 90's I had all sorts of bills each month as a new homeowner. Whoa.

Fine. All debts paid off. Then all utilites paid one year ahead. Water bill for example. 600 dollars paid. They bill 30.00 a month from that for oh.. 18 months. When there is two months to go on the remain balance, they get another payment of 600 dollars at the water dept. I keep on trucking because there is no bills to speak of arriving in the mail. all is paid up a year in advance.

In Arkansas we do not have payday lenders or check cashers outside of very specific situations. And income is auto deposited. That account is seperate and protected.

Payment of bills came out of the second checking account that is also protected with no ACH possible. I write about 14 checks a month, 9 of those to medical providers. It will be about 7 years before all of them are paid off.

When I was with Navy Federal a decade ago, (No longer) they had said a new rule. No more than 600 dollars can flow out of our checking account in any one day.

Our income was about 3000. Bills 2000 of that. What did I do?

Built 5 checking accounts with Navy Federal and established a Online account so I can pay bills by computer at home. Awesome.

405 dollars went into each of the 5 new checking accounts by transfer.

2000 dollars in bills were paid or written that day from all 5 accounts. A couple of hours later, all 5 accounts for billpaying had 5.00 in each.

So much for the 600 per day rule.

Another bank locally, called Regions which is or was one of 13 charter banks back in 1934. Supposed to be a very good bank right? Ha.. get this... I showed up one thursday around 1 pm. tendered to the teller a specific 650 dollar cash withdrawal in 20 dollar bills and one ten.

No one else was there that day, two were in drive through. The teller told me with the manager that they do not possess 650 dollars cash in the Vault in American dollars to give me. I would have to return at 3:30 PM to collect. After the Armored truck has delivered there from Little Rock Fed Reserve. (Fridays is payday...)

I was there at 3:30 to collect. Plus another 340 or so total to close the checking account there by 3:40 PM.

Went to another bank and had a new account by 4Pm that day. Up and running fully friday am by 10 am. (ATM cards etc)

That was 12 years ago. To this day that bank has never refused a disbursement request. Once a record 18000 dollar draw and another a 45000 dollar draw. They did it no problem with one form going to dear uncle sam. (Limit 10,000 USD it becomes reportable to uncle sam against fraud or structuring)

Navy federal had to be closed when I was asked questions about structuring. I said no such thing and explained that somehow all 2000 dollars in billing has to go out that day due that day against their silly 600 dollar daily limit.

CLOSED.

That's the end of that I guess. They did not like that too much.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    tscottme Thanks this.
  5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I bank with RBFCU. It’s amazing and I have 4 accounts (checking and savings for both personal and my business). They have a bill pay feature that works fantastic. Plus one time I went in and withdrew $65k without notice and they did it in about 15 minutes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.