I need help! I accidentally put 1 gallon of vacuum pump oil into my engine. Will it hurt anything.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 96Freight, May 8, 2018.

1. 96Freight

96Freight Bobtail Member

May 8, 2018
    I use to haul water with my truck so I had a challenger vacuum pump on it. I recently took pump off and started hauling belly dumps. Well my truck was short about a gallon of oil so I went into my shop and grabbed a gallon of oil thinking it was 15w 40 oil. After I poured it in I turned truck on and after awhile I noticed my oil pressure psi was at 60 to 70 when it regularly runs around 50. I hope I didn't but I'm thinking I put my vacuum pump oil in the engine. If I did will it hurt engine or anything else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If it’s gear oil it is pretty much the same as adding a gallon of Lucas .. I suspect pressure comes down a bit when it’s up to full temp .. I’ve added a gallon of gear oil to older engines with low oil pressure to bring it up a bit

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Similar to oil used in air compressors. Non-detergent. Won’t hurt anything. A single gallon won’t make much of a difference.
    If this is a newer truck, the emissions system may not like it. But won’t be catastrophic.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  5. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I had good luck adding gear oil to ISX to dry up a leaking rear main seal there is a certain grade that is less abrasive think it is GL4, Amazon has it by the gallon, that was one truck ago hard to remember all that

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Gear oil is light years better than Lucas. Gear oil is made for high pressure, and has additives. It's cheaper I think to.

brysol01 Thanks this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have used lucas for 40 years, unless none was available at oil change time. I have never noticed it changing my oil pressure.

Just curious old iron, what did lucas ever do to you, you must have had a bad experience with it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.