I Need Some Advice, Please Read!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by L310, May 7, 2007.

1. L310

L310 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Hey Folks,

I’m new to the trucking business; I’ve been doing small moving jobs in my 95 Isuzu NPR (16ft Box Truck) for about a year now and would like to make the transition into commercial freight or deliveries for business. Thus, I’m coming to the vets.

What I’d like to do is use my 16ft box truck or a 24ft box to haul freight local (Around Los Angeles) or long distance (Bay Area, San Diego, Vegas). The problem is I don’t know where to start beyond getting my licenses and permits. So I’d like to ask some questions and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. What source should I use for finding loads and which would be most common for my truck/interest?
    • Freight Broker
    • Courier
    • Distribution Company
    • Manufacture

2. There’s a ton of load board sites; for example, Getloaded.com. Does anyone use that site and, if so, what has your experience been like? Also, are there other sites I should consider?

3. I heard of the DATS system. As I understand it; it’s a load board that’s found at truck stops which truckers can use to find loads. Is this effective and dose anyone of you use it?

4. Finally, is there essentially a one-stop-shop for finding loads and advertising my services or do I basically have scavenged around for loads from tons of different resources?

Note: I understand that some of the questions I’m asking could impact some of you guys business, but any advice you could give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pyro

Pyro Bobtail Member

May 4, 2007
    I can only say that owner ops of full sized tractor trailers use all of the ways you mentioned to find loads. Of course everyone has there favorites, and everyone does things a little differantly but basically you take whatever good freight you get no matter what the source of it is. Now I have no experiances with straight/box trucks but I am sure it works about the same, are you doing your own authority with it or will you be leasing it on with a company that is already established, if so they may be a good source of freight for you. I wish I could be more helpful to you but I know very little about box trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.