I need some help rolled a truck do to mechanical failure

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truck88, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I guess I can sympathize with OP.

I never rolled a truck over but I have come close. One time the fetzer valve broke on a truck I was driving, this of course caused the muffler bearings to seize up. I had a hard time keeping the truck upright, fortunately their was just a little more blinker fluid in the the left turn signals that kept the truck level. But the whole fiasco did ruin the turbo encapsulator. Image them trying to blame me for that. It couldn't be me because I checked that every pre-trip. And I wrote up the situation with the muffler bearings last year. They should have known. But we can't all be that lucky. Good thing

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know there has to be a lot of stress in order to snap anything, so it is unlikely that this happened unless there is pictures. And looking at the different suspension layouts only a few use shackles and most of them seem to be rare on the road, so can you provide some pictures?

KriegHund Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Pictures would be very helpful. Accident report also.
    I would've taken a thousand pictures.
    Op did you go to doctor and get a post accident physical.
    I had friend that got a cracked vertebrae in accident, didn't cause any issues until 6 months later. Insurance refused treatment
    Until they got a lawyer.
    Good luck

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    No kidding.

I try not to trouble myself with whether or not these stories are true. It is after all the internet. More important is that it could happen to someone and if it does, that poor bugger might find this thread helpful.

MJ1657 and wore out Thank this.
  6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    You must have been terrified.

rank Thanks this.
  7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    ^^ I could have messed myself, but you got to expect a load of crap from a truck driver any time a huge mistake happens and it is not his fault.

8. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    He did except responsibility! He just didn't accept any though.

English, tough language right buddy ;)

9. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    I had a torsion bar let loose on a trailer many years ago. That caused the trailer to swing one full lane out from the lane I was in. I was able to get the truck stopped without rolling over. What was your catastrophic failure that prevented you from keeping the rig upright?

10. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    People who live in glass houses should not throw the first stone. You told him to EXCEPT responsibility, maybe you meant for him to ACCEPT responsibility (;

11. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    image.jpeg
    Two different times I've been on the side of a lease road with broken suspension on my old KW. Both times it was the studs on the torsion arms that broke and let the axle swing around. If I'd been on the highway, there's no doubt in my mind I'd have been in the ditch in a quick hurry with a fastness. Fortunately, both times it happened, I was crawling and was able to control the truck.

If you look closely, you'll see that the studs broke off flush. You'll also notice that they are pretty dirty where they broke, indicating that they had both been cracked for quite some time. Now, I own this truck, and I drive it every day. I trust it to feed my family. I do my own service/mechanic work. If you think I don't pre-trip, think again. I'm all over and all under this truck all the time. There is no way you could have caught those cracks on a pre-trip because they are in a place that can't be seen.

What I'm getting at is sometimes things break and there's just no way a pre-trip can catch it. Believe me, I'd much rather catch it ahead of time and replace a couple of cheap bolt studs at my leisure, than to get out on a job, break down, miss several loads, and spend hundreds of dollars to get back going again.

Now I'm not taking the OP's side here. He did say the truck had been making a popping sound. That's grounds for getting on the ground and finding out what is going on. If I can't find it right away, the truck doesn't go anywhere until I get it figured out. If the shop "fixed" it, but it still was popping, it would be right back in the shop.

By the way, I have since replaced the old AG200 suspension with the AG400, which is all one piece. No small pieces to break.

Toomanybikes and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.