I Put 52 OZ of Freon in my AC System

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by TheBaron97, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s got the 2 lines, and 2 switches on top. Unplug them, in screw them, take lines off. Replace drier. Reverse to install.

Dino soar and TheBaron97 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Read again it says 2 lbs (32oz.) 14 Oz. Total 46oz. 4 cans @12oz. = 48oz. Close enough.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You’re going to be removing the one hose from the air dryer anyways, Might as well take the other one off, and change it. Depending on if you’re at home, if on the road, and pressed for time, don’t bother, fix it better later.

lwlevens, Dino soar and TheBaron97 Thank this.
  5. TheBaron97

TheBaron97 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    Haha, wow I didn't even realize that the two pounds was part of the overall amount. I thought it was referring to something else. This is great news! I didn't overfill it nearly as much as I thought.
    I found a kit on Amazon that comes with the vacuum and gauges and all is have to buy is more freon, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't mind spending 200 bucks to get the job done right and replace the hose and air dryer. $200 isn't exactly cheap but at least I'll ja e the tools and the knowledge and I'm sure I'll use it again on another truck and on my own personal vehicles. Maybe even help someone else out later.
    It pales in comparison to the 120-150 an hour shop rates up here in Williston.

6. TheBaron97

TheBaron97 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    Not that I mind paying a professional a good rate to get the job done right. But it's nice to do the simpler stuff myself and save the time it takes a mechanic to track down the leak get the parts.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Check this Guy out on utube. ChrisFix, a/c recharge. Very good explanation of proper procedure. Like I said, you can just refill it, for now. A drier, will help, a little oil won’t hurt, just in case it’s low. A little low on oil won’t destroy the system, too much oil will displace 134a, and make the compressor run hot. At this point, you have no idea, how much you’ve lost. Usually a few Oz. will cover a bad hose, and total loss of 134a.

lwlevens, TheBaron97 and Dino soar Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You’re well on your way to being a pro. Saving a bunch of money, since a/c problems are sometimes an annual thing. Check out ChrisFix. He’s good.

TheBaron97 Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Get a large valve core tool, to fit the high and low ports, and some new valve cores, if possible. Nice to have. I like the green dye. You can buy the oil with the dye in it, in liquid form, at autozone or Oreillys. Much cheaper, keep it with your kit, just pour a little into the line. Makes finding a leak simple.Be sure to get correct oil, I think it’s pag 100, or 150.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    lwlevens, TheBaron97 and Dino soar Thank this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    @Rideandrepair can give you good advice on a/c.

If you don't want to buy everything, Autozone will loan you the vacuum pump and the gauges. It's definitely best to use the manifold gauges rather than the single with the bottle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.