I screwed up today

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by rbrtwbstr, Aug 30, 2018.

1. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    I’m glad you are ok! This could happen to any of us...

allniter, mjd4277 and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Like the others...glad your ok. It could have been worse for you or the other guy.

I must say thought...what really impresses me is coming on here an telling this story. ;) Owning actions an taking responsibility are difficult to find at times these days. You sir have done an excellent job in both. You say you have a blind spot, but I don't take it as you blaming the blind spot. I applaud you for this, for whatever it's worth. I'll also have a couple cold ones in your honor later. People that own the good things in life they do AND the BAD, along with mistakes are generally decent people in my book.

Respect to you. I'm sure many others can contest a lot posts of this nature would have been filled with excuses for why it wasn't their fault, etc etc.

Hey, on the bright side, an yes I'm making light of the situation now cause your ok...at lest it happened after you hit the million mile mark. Imagine how upset you would have been at 999,250. :)

Can't fix a blow to pride but by shaking it off, saddling back up an taking another shot at the rodeo.

Be safe out there no matter how many miles you got folks. You only get one life.

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    All I do is drive, drive, drive
    Try to stay alive
    And keep my mind on my load
    Keep my eye upon the road

- All I do is Drive : Johnny Cash

4. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    Yep, my freight requires an all night drive which is fine for me. I started working nights 30 some yrs ago & I loved it from the get. Even on my days off I'm staying up all night so 3-5 a.m. means I'm close to the end of my night.

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Well, here I am five days later, still waiting on the law to come calling for the fender bender. I don't imagine I'll hear anything, but my mind has been playing games with me.

I read one of Donald Trump's books a while back, before he ran for President. He wrote ''The wost hell you will ever face, is that which is created in your own mind" ( might have been someone else's quote, but nevertheless). It makes sense now.

I guess the silver lining in all this is that

1. I'm much more cautious, and not so over-confident.
    2. It snapped me back into the reality that is my job. I've realized #### can happen to everyone of us, and not take anything for granted.
    3. I'm getting a dash camera this week, something I've been considering for a while now. It wouldn't have prevented what happened, but I would at least have a plate number, and video evidence if things would have gone differently.

One thing I realized in all this is that, even though I'm in really good physical shape, had the guy come at me with a knife or gun, I'm pretty much unarmed, and vulnerable. That's not a good feeling for a married father of two. So that will definitely be addressed in the days coming up.

Protect yourselves, no matter how good of a driver you are, or how great of shape you are physically in! And don't do as I did and become complacent in your work!

6. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Good post an thread.

Stay safe out there Rb, and everyone else. Most precious cargo you carry is yourself. One can replace a load, same can't be said for loved one.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Make like an owl an keep your head on a swivel.

Lepton1, Rideandrepair and mjd4277 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Whether or not we admit it, I think everyone has had a minor screwup like that. Being able to turn it into a positive (like re-evaluating your driving habits, being more cautious etc) makes a person a more skilled driver IMO.

8. jland1962

jland1962 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I witnessed a wreck in Atlanta back in the summer involving 3 4 wheelers . Everybody in all three cars jumped out and ran.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I bet the cop was right too..there's a good reason why they didn't stick around...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Another possibility is that driver had NO INSURANCE.;)
    In MA the RMV will suspend or cancel the plates if the vehicle isn’t insured. Insurance companies there are required by law to notify the RMV if a vehicle’s insurance policy is/has been canceled.

11. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
    I got rear ended sitting at a stop light about
    5 years ago.

80 year old man wrecked his front end on
    The icc bumper, barely took the paint off
    Of the trailer.

I check to see if he's ok, he begs me not
    To call the police.
    He's afraid they'll take his license away
    And he won't be able to drive anymore.

I start to set the triangles out and he just
    Takes off with his bumper dragging the ground.
    Nothing I can do, I hop Back in my truck and take off.
    Never said a word to anybody.
    That was the end of that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.