I start school in fort wayne oct 10 2011

Discussion in 'PAM' started by nsmith71402, Oct 6, 2011.

1. nsmith71402

nsmith71402 Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2011
    niles,mi
    Ive been unemployed for quiet awhile now and decided that I would try my hand at truck driving. Alot of my family drives so we talked about what companys and all the other things that goes with it. I have a degree in electronics technologies and now im heading to c1 in fort wayne IN to learn the trucking trade on Oct 10 (also my birthday). So wish me luck thanks. any tips if youve been there would help thanks. i live in niles,MI for anyone thats going too.

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just some words of advice for school.

-Learn EVERYTHING that you can i.e. Logs, backing, pre-trip, etc.
    -Back as much and as often as you can, straight line, 45 and 90 degree backing.
    -Logs - understand the Hours Of Service and split sleeper berth

Then when you get on a trainer's truck, forget everything they told you other than the above and you'll be OK. Always keep in mind that they're just there to get you your CDL, but optimize your time in school to practice all of the above so when you do finally get on a trainer's truck, you're prepared in some ways.

Lastly, remember this isn't just a job, but also a lifestyle.

Good luck in your new venture.

4. nsmith71402

Oct 2, 2011
    niles,mi
  5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Don't even bother with the split sleeper. It will just confuse you, and there is really no point in doing it, the way PAM sets their crap up. If you take an 8 hour break, might as well just wait 2 more for your 10..

I think in over 2 years at PAM, I only did a split sleeper twice, and it didn't really save me any time or get me to where I was going any faster.

Other than that, do what DJ said :D

6. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I did nothing but split sleeper for 2 days thanks to PAM dispatching. Having me t-call a load then redispatching me on it with less than 10 hours to deliver forcing me to take 8 to extend my 14 then 2 hours at the shipper so I had hours to leave.

C1 is cdl school only, nothing more. The real learning comes with your trainer.

I'm in my 3rd month right now and not real happy with the company at this point (see my thread titled 'miles' in this section)

I'm seriously considering finishing my year and jumping ship if I can last that long on sub 2,000 mile paychecks. My last 3 loads were undeliverable on time yet I was told to take them anyway resulting in complaints from receivers and 12+ hour waits for new appointments and other tomfoolery. I hope your experience is better than mine because I am swimming in frustration right now.

7. nsmith71402

Oct 2, 2011
    niles,mi
    thanks for the info it's going good so far and i'll check your thread out gravdigr.

8. jezter5677

jezter5677 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Hey gravdigr, keep your nose clean and finish it out then come on over to crete, if they send me a load I can't del they either send me something else, have me tcall it or reschedule right away. Not to mention I don't think I've waited more than 10 min for a load yet

9. tisdal

tisdal Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Edwardsburg, Mi
    If you're still around I'm pretty much your neighbor. Im in edwardsburg, went thru c1 back in july and did my upgrade around september.

10. mattbh23

mattbh23 Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    nsmith and tisdal I am from Benton Harbor and hopefully will be starting at C1 in Mid January. Any pearls of wisdom for a newbie.

11. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    I live in Fort Wayne to!
    Went down to the school today to look at it. I had to drive all the way around harvester to find i.
    There isonly one small sign along thee building as I drive by. There where no C-1 trucks or trailers around in the area! But it was not a fly by night operation,,,, just been in the same place for 7? years?

MATTBH23:::: Yan get some cheap motels ,,,,not roach infested in New haven about 5? miles away,,, about $100.00??? per week.

Nsmith,,, why didn't you go to Sage in Indy for a cheaper school????

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.