I Start With Averitt in January 2012

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by bigmikectn, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I knew this would happen. LOL. After sleeping all night I get a load that picks up tonight at 6pm and I have to run it hard all night to Memphis by 5:00 AM. Looks like lots of high octane coffee for me.

Hope everyone is safe and getting good miles.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Alrighty...from Memphis I ran to Owensboro, KY and relayed that load to a guy going to Milwaukee. Then I picked up a load taking me home to Cleveland, TN. Problem is...I got here by 1pm and they won't touch me until 10pm. Gotta love truck load.
    I am sitting in a drop lot about 6 miles from my easy chair and I won't see it until after midnight for sure. Gotta take the truck to our Chattanooga terminal and then head home for the weekend.

I already have a preplan that has me leaving out late Sunday afternoon.

After 4 weeks solo I still love it. I am making more than my old job and the creature comforts in the truck make life on the road very livable. Even when I mess up I get talked to like I am a valuable team member. My experience at Swift was so very different. Long story short, Averitt keeps selling itself to me every day.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I enjoyed a nice but albeit SHORT weekend at home. Sunday afternoon I picked up a trailer at our Chattanooga SC and took it down to Macon. This morning I took a relay from Macon to Griffin for unload. Then got a preplan to go back to Macon and pick up a paper load and relay it to Indianapolis. I called it a night in Nashville at our service center.

Got fueled up, ran my big red beast through the truck wash 3 times and now I am enjoying a quiet dinner in my sleeper. I will run myself through the shower early tomorrow morning...maybe up to 3 times. Lord knows I will need it.

I ran into a guy I went to orientation with in Macon and he is loving Averitt as well. He worked for Swift also and is amazed at how much more sense this entire operation makes top to bottom.

Hope all is well and you stay safe. Many miles to you.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    You may have already learned this, but if you go to the south end of the LTL terminal you will find a much nicer shower than those in the shop building.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I have learned this. Thanks for the tip anyway. Much nicer for sure and if you catch them early there is hardly ever a wait.

Even the shop showers are way better than what I experienced before.

Sitting in Indy waiting on a dispatch. I hope this feeling that I may be sitting here for awhile goes away. LOL

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Another little known secret is the super deluxe 5 star shower in Asheville NC
    I wish mine at home was that nice. You have to ask directions, for it is in the back of the building past the offices.
    They might even joke around and say things like "What shower?"

Winchester VA in another very nice one.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I will certainly check those out!

Bunked down for the night at a rest area outside Columbus, IN. I pick up a load tomorrow after noon at 1pm and haul it to Tuscalusa, AL for an early morning drop and hook. I am doing my best to stay awake for a few more hours so I can sleep in a bit. Don't want to be pulling an all nighter and be sleep deprived. A very good week thus far.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    From the OOOPS department: I get to the shipper in Columbus, IN and turns out the load they assigned me is a dedicated load and the driver on the account was there picking it up. Two drivers dispatched on the same load. Guess who won?

So, I moved to the TA about 15 miles down the road to wait on a dispatch with my clock running. UGH. Ended up with a hazmat load from the Louisville yard headed to Memphis tomorrow morning.

The thing that impressed me is that my FM sent me a message saying he was putting me in for layover pay since I was ready to run and the planners messed up. That is the kind of stuff I would have to fight for at Swift.

All in all, not a bad week. I should end up with enough miles to more than feed the family this week.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    All is still going well with Averitt Express. Seems that miles are kinda scarce at several companies right now, but they keep me moving. I could use more miles for sure, but I cannot complain too much.

I don't have the time to update this thread each day, so I think I am going to retire it except for the time to time update. If you have any questions regarding Averitt feel free to PM me. I will tell you how things work and what you can expect.

I am camped out in Wytheville, VA waiting to get loaded then I will take off around 2 AM for Cincinnati. I have an 8 AM delivery there.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Well, I am no longer a Petco virgin. Got a 3 stop load out of Braselton, GA last night headed to N.C. I didn't do too badly considering I am 52 and way overweight. I can promise I won't be disappointed if I don't see another Petco load for awhile though. LOL

Averitt is still treating me very well. I absolutely love it. I have talked with several drivers that came from Swift, Werner, JB Hunt, etc. They all love it. I guess when you work for one of the meat grinder starter companies then you come to a company that actually treats you with respect it makes a big impact.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.