I think I want to be a TRUCK DRIVER!?!?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by shaddmuzak, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaddmuzak

shaddmuzak Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Pro...

Your a trip...LMFAO
    Much like the food service business you work 60 to 70 hours a week and only get paid for 45 - 40 hours of work. That is all your staff bother to show up for work that week and your kitchen does not fall aprt because your staff are to stupid or to bothered to treat the stuff right...

Here was my day today...

The main freezer was not working when I arrived at 6AM.
    Spent the first hour tring to get someone in there to fix it.

After the repair guy fixed the freezer and left...

One of my staff took the eletric cord to our big floor mixer and drapped the cord over the meat slicer, wht I have no idea. Another employee went to slice meat on the same slicer, without noticing the cord drapped over the #### thing and poof, spark, yell...

That's right gang cut the cord with the meat slicer, while cutting ham for sandwiches.

Repair guy called back out...he was unhappy...

Next, my staff in all their wisdom, burnt the bread for lunch, had to start from strach.

My dishwasher droppped around $200 in plateware, and broke a plastic trash can. Thought filling it with water was a good way to clean it. Trash cans do not hold 60 gallons of water with out cracking down the side. Oh, Well I know that know she said.

Our company has a company that sets up our order guides for us to order food, and download this to us monthly. I went to do my order today for the weekend and noticed that trash bags where not on my order guide any more. I spent an 2 hours on the phone tring to get this company to call my food company and order me trash bag. By the time they got around to calling, it was to late. My order had been locked out and could not be added to any more. So guesss what I have to do tomorrow, that's right go to Wal-mart and order trash bag.

The CEO's asstistent paged me, I tried for 20 mins. to call him back. When he finilly answered and asked me how come it took so long to get back to him. I said you where on the phone I kept getting you voicemail, he said OH THAT'S RIGHT!!!!

The CEO of the hospital spent 30 mins. chewed mine and my dietations ### out because SHE did not like last nights dinner for the patients. No complates, SHE just did not like the menu.

After a crappy day like that and the tard level of people I work with, sitting in a truck does not sound that bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2007
    I can only tell you from our experience. My husband and I were married 15 years with 4 kids (under 10) when he got his CDL. He is a journeyman machinist but there just isn't work anymore for that. We needed something that gave him the potential to make what he was as a machinist. My husband has always loved to drive and hated being a machinist.

The change was really really hard on all of us. I miss him, the kids miss him. It has made our marriage even stronger though and has taught us how much we really mean to each other. I hate having him gone and he hates being gone but when he is home it is awesome. How many couples get to feel like newlyweds every weekend?

He quit his over the road job and got a local job (you normally need 1-2 years over the road before getting local). He was home every night but unloaded his truck all day and was exhausted. He did it for us but it took it's toll on his body. There was a huge layoff with that company and he is getting ready to go over the road again.

My husband LOVES being a professional driver. It is a really good fit for him. He has never been much of a people person so it really works well for him. He can be nice and sweet to the customers but then leaves and doesn't have to deal with anyone else for awhile. He loves not having a boss looking over his shoulder all day. Thanks to cell phones we can talk to him just about whenever we want.

It's hard, it is an adjustment but I would rather have him happy then miserable every day at work.

4. shaddmuzak

Mar 24, 2007
    Part of gas tax is for roads also...so will gas and diesel go down too?

5. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sure, any day now.:biggrin_25512:

6. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    But 60 gallons of water, is a good way to clean a floor, right??

Just be glad one of your cooks have never emptied hot fryer grease into a 5 gallon PLASTIC pickle bucket......oh it held for about 45 seconds.....

I didn't know I couldn't run a 1200$ Robo Coupe threw the dishwasher with out damaging it????:biggrin_2559:

7. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    yes'er...........I's shorely a reel "trip" now isn't I....????

just don't get your hopes up too high for your career change, that's all.

expect to bust your hump for about a year or two till you get enough experience to tell potential employers to "go pound sand" when they offer you 30¢ per mile, when you should be making more.

but still too, expect to put in long hours for no extra pay as well..........

now, i'ms gonna go and "trip" someone elses thread.........:biggrin_2559:

8. shaddmuzak

Mar 24, 2007
    NOT FUNNY!!!! Both of those things have happened at this place I am at. The dish machine caught fire...yea the thing that is usually filled with WATER, was on fire. The staff thought the best way to clean the boster was to take off the cover and just spay the d#mn thing with the dish hose. About an hour later I am putting out a fire from the boster with the fire extinguisher. My staff said "wow look at the flames from the dish machine I think if we run some dishes it will go out...OH sh#t that didn't work!!!!

As for the $1200 Robo Coop, our new one cost $1450 and a trip to the ER because the blade got stuck and my staff in their wisdom thought it would be a good idea just to pull on the blade with WET hands. That idea was quickly dismissed by the others when the floor was covered in a co-workers blood.

What can you guys tell me about FFE (Frozen Food Express)?

They seem to talk a good talk. paid training with one year of service, contract, 29CPM startiung out after 6 weeks with a trainer. 6 months later upto 31CPM. upto 4700 mile a week, 12 days on a 2 days at home.

Is there any truth to their game?

Are there any companies better?

Thanks again,

9. bamafan

bamafan Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I am going to venture into being a truck driver too. Leaving for school on Sunday as a matter of a fact. I have been in call centers for about 11 years and have managed over 100 people and am more than ready for a change. My uncle has been in trucking for about 25 years and we have spent considerable time talking over the last few weeks as I have contemplated this change. I have no illusions about the industry, but as he keeps saying "You don't know how tough it is until you experience it". He isn't encouraging or discouraging me per se, but has told me about a million stories when everything went wrong and how stressful things can be. Of course, he now has one of those cushy dedicated routes where he is home every night and makes $70,000 a year, but he somewhat jokingly says it may be 25 years before I land a job like that since dedicated routes that pay well are far and few between.

The thing I look forward to about OTR is the fact that I will only be responsible for my rig and myself. Im tired of being responsible for making others do their job. I know there are a ton of stressors in the truck driving industry (bad dispatchers, receivers, shippers, 4wheelers, and disgruntled truckers) but at the end of the day, I am in control of my attitude and how I view my current career. Anything you do, whether managing a restaurant, managing a call center, or driving a truck requires one to make a decision to make the best of it or you will be miserable. Once you are unable to make the best of managing a restaurant, managing a call center, or driving truck, it is time to make a change. God knows that I realize this decision will be no cake walk but I am nonetheless excited about this change in my life. I have always had a restless heart so I think this will be a good fit for me personally.

Good luck to everyone on this string. I enjoyed reading it especially since I am about to make this leap myself.

10. shaddmuzak

Mar 24, 2007
    What company did you go with for your schooling?...if it's ok to ask.

Thanks and good luck.

11. IAMGREAT

IAMGREAT Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2006
    BUTTE AMERICA !!!
    do any thing but dont drive a truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.