i want to be a road train driver

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by gypsyrose, Feb 20, 2011.

1. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2008
    mountain home, ar
    i know i couldnt get there and doing it on my own resources. ive been doing otr driving in the u.s. for the last 14yrs. when i heard of "road train" driving ive wanted the experience of it. im probably singing the wind but there it is. are there any american drivers in this form who has made the leap to the other side of the earth and can tell how they did it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nootherids

Nootherids Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train

"U.S.A.
    In the United States, trucks on public roads are limited to two trailers (two 28 ft (8.5 m) + a dolly to connect; the limit is 63 ft (19.2 m) end to end). Some states allow three trailers, although triples are usually restricted to less populous states such as Idaho, Oregon and Montana. Triples are used for long-distance less-than-truckload (LTL) freight hauling (in which case the trailers are shorter than a typical single-unit trailer) or resource hauling in the interior west (such as ore or aggregate). Triples are typically marked with "LONG LOAD" banners both front and rear. The term "road train" is not commonly used in the US."

What you are referring to is nothing more that pulling doubles or triples. You need the endorsement, training, and experience with a particular company that will get you enough seniority (or knowing the right people) to start training you for this. I don't have experience with this but I do know that it is a completely different monster. Talk to LTL carriers and those that have their own fully developed distribution systems.

4. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2008
    mountain home, ar
    the road trains im talking about are the ones over in australia. id like to go over there and try it for a few years to get the experience of it. ive been researching it a little bit for over there and it seems totally different from the "road trains" over here. where they take on up to 5 or six trlrs. was just curious as to how to get into it. if i was to win the lottery id make it a point to go over just to do it.

5. Nootherids

Nootherids Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Oh, this is what you are referring too...

"K represents the largest road trains operating in Australia, and therefore, the world. Called a "Powertrain" or a "Body and six", these machines operate at The Granites Gold Mine in the western Northern Territory, and are used inplace of 200t dump trucks, because of the distances involved on the haul run. A 600 hp 19 litre Cummins engine powers the prime mover, whilst a 400 hp Cummins engine is installed in the rear trailer of the B-double, driving through an automatic transmission, giving a total of 1000 hp. Weights of 460 t (1,000,000 lb) are achieved with ore loading in side-tipper bodies on a 100 km round trip. As these trucks operate on private property, they are not subject to governed weight and length rulings, but instead are utilised in the most efficient way possible."
    [​IMG]

That would be CRAZY!!! :D :D :D

6. AUSSIE DAVE

AUSSIE DAVE Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    OZ - Brisbane
    here is one down side to driving road trains, while i was driving road trains carting copper ore another work mate and i finished for the day and sat down and had a few beers and a chat (as we did most days) he looked absolutly shagged and i said hard day mate, he said yep I had 22 flat tyres today. we had to change our own tyres so you can understand how bugged he was. i was so greatfull it was not me, the most flats i had in a day was 3 and that takes it out of you, cause the temps out there in central OZ get up to and over 45 degrees C (113F) with no shad and hardly any breeze.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.