i want to become a truck driver but not if it's manual

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by whopperjr, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Who cares if your a "real" trucker. If you can do something the hard way or the easy way, then why do it the hard way. Old school truckers dont use gps as much either. Does it make me not a real trucker because i use GPS? Technology changes and auto trans are part of that. Just because tech helps me do my job easier doesn't mean i dont "keep America moving" just like the other guy. A guy in an auto trans truck picks up freight at the same places, delivers it just as safly and as fast as the guy with the manual. Nothing says he isn't a real trucker because of that. Who cares if he can drive manual if its not a job requirement for his truck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Nothing wrong with auto but one should learn and know both trannys.Suppose trk brks down and you have to rent a trk,all there is is the manual then what are you going to do,wait days/weeks for your trk to get fixed?Nothing wrong with the GPS but every trucker should learn how to read and understand maps.There's always that suppose that could happen anytime on the road.A true truck driver is always prepared and has back up plans.I bet most the drivers that use auto do know how to operate the standard 10 speed for a just in case time.

Mr Ed, Dinomite and Snowshoes Thank this.
  4. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Go drive an ice cream truck then.

I hate automatics, I want full control of anything I drive.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    lmao,ice cream trk,excellent idea

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hate to say it but there is far too many steering wheel holders in this industry that does not know the true meaning of trk driving.They think the industry should cater to them and don't believe in learning new things or old ways unless it suits them.People that don't want to or refuse to learn something like the manual tranny ,map reading shouldn't pursue this carreer till you take it seriously.So many accidents and a lot is these so called trk drivers that have no business out on the road.The true drivers are these guys that started driving when most of us was still in diapers.Those are the true professionals.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Can anyone say Drive By Poster?

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Its only been 13 hrs he may be back but might not reply due to all the negativity concerning auto trannies.

gpsman Thanks this.
  9. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Back when I was on the road the most fun part of any trip was wipping out my road atlas and deciding the route based on how "cool" the scenery was.

I will never forget US 74 through the Cherokee National Forest, the GPS would've never taken me through there.

Honestly, steering wheel holders don't know what they are missing out on. I have never had so much fun while doing a job EVER. Going through the gears pulling an empty trailer, full jakes on, windows down, no GPS woman interrupting, no signal on phone. I would do that drive again for free.

producelove85, KW Cajun and pattyj Thank this.
  10. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    My last codriver, I would have done anything for an automatic... Would have been nice getting a full night sleep workout being thrown around by a bucking truck and hearing the constant "(grind) %&*! (Grind)" HUGE BUCK.

Don't hate on automatics until you drive team with someone who can't shift.

gpsman Thanks this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    They don't know what they're missing and refuse to find out.They take the easy way out.I like the ice cream trk you came up with,lmao.Ppl that don't wanna take this carreer on a trk driver level then I suggest pulling freight with a pickup or rv in a rented uhaul trl.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.