I want to hotshot but I have a Dui

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by StoneG, Jun 30, 2020.

1. StoneG

StoneG Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Hey fellas, I’m from CA and I want to get into hotshotting. I understand it’s a difficult trade to get started but I have nothing but time and want to start a business for myself. A little back story, I’m 24 with no on paper commercial driving experience. I’m saving up money to start this venture within a couple years. The only thing that has me worried is insurance costs being a new driver and having a dui from almost 2 years ago. I don’t have a truck or trailer, but I want to get quotes on insurance but idk if I can do that with out equipment. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance Sorry if this topics been covered, I did a google search but didn’t quite find anything

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Well 24 and DUI is not the best scenario for getting best insurance rate. You will get older but learn from your past. New business in trucking always high rates just don’t accept the higher quotes. They are part of overhead cost, same as equipment, fuel, etc. At 24 my experience would have been very challenging to become successful in this field. I would try to find someone to learn from. Continue to read this forum most of the sections even the broker section you can get a feel about negotiating. Now if you get equipment and insurance and numbers, broker will only be able to see how long you been in business. Field still not level as you are new guy and will try to run you and equipment at a discount rate. This is where your input will influence your outcome the most. You could pass on a lower rate or not. If it is cheap leave it because in the long run it does you no good. You may miss a better load because you have a cheap freight on. Also it’s key to know where to accept loads to, even if something pays decent to point A. Point A may be a dead zone where nothing moves out of and the profit you had built into getting to point A maybe sucked out simply by leaving. You can watch some YouTube videos some is beneficial give you insight. I recently seen a woman working in California, she seemed to have her ACT together. ( speaking truth) I see other guys overcoming some obstacles on the side of the road pretty amazing. Keep asking questions.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. StoneG

StoneG Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Thanks for the response Lite Bug, I know I’m not going to get the best insurance price. I just don’t know if it will be worth it. I guess I could just get a bunch of quotes and weigh my options. How do I go about getting quotes without equipment? Can I just find the equipment I want to use and go from there? Or do I need to actually own equipment to get a quote? I’m new to the whole hauling industry but I’m doing my research now and hopefully I’ll have enough money saved up in the next couple years. I plan on moving out of California so I might just wait until that happens. Going to work on getting a cdl a just to have it though. Thanks again

5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    IMO continue doing research. You could start buying equipment, trouble is it is expensive. You can find equipment in California not exposed to salt so that is a plus. There are some restrictions on vehicles there which is a minus. Finding the person who can educate you about this industry is the most important factor I see which would benefit the most. Getting your CDL thru a mega trucking company is a way a lot of people get into this industry. They would be paying you to get exposure. Although you insight into how individuals business work would be nullified by working for a mega. If you had equipment and money to get started I would find a Dispatch Service who has a long running track record who you can pay for their services. By taking this route your success factor will be increased provided you find a honest service. Keep in mind a lot of people fail in this business, in my opinion for lack of knowledge.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  6. AndrewW

AndrewW Bobtail Member

May 8, 2020
    I recently got a quote in California for $32k a year. I’m 34 years old and haven’t had as much as a speeding ticket in 10+ years. I owned the truck already and just googled a vin for the type of trailer I was going to use.

I imagine your insurance quote will be astronomical with the information you provided.

7. michaelx3__

michaelx3__ Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2022
    Hey Stone G, I’m kind of in the same shoes. I’m almost 21 with a dui on my record and I’m planning on getting my own authority to start hotshot. Were you able to find a insurance company to insure you ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.