i want to start a hotshot carrer what all do i need to get started

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by andy789, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Sure that be fine

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway MARINE

Highway MARINE Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I have a question. I’m looking at getting into hot shotting. I am out in California and am willing to go all lower 48 states. I have been doing all the paperwork. I have a dot and mc #. Looking to find insurance and a gooseneck trailer. I have a 2500hd diesel. Any pros/cons on my setup? Insurance suggestions? Ballpark insurance upfront costs? Other upfront costs I need to know about?

4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    A 3500 is much better suited. Trailers, in all different sizes are a dime a dozen in new, or used. With a 2500 you’re going to want to be real careful when picking out your trailer so that the weight of the trailer doesn’t consume to much of your freight weight carrying capacity.

As far as insurance companies in California, I have one that I can recommend. It’s the same one I’ve been with for many years. Insurance for new start ups is very expensive these days. For new start up companies it requires a sizable down payment and in my opinion high monthly payments on the balance. And they only offer payment plans if you’re credit is ok. If not, they’ll want it all up front for the year. The good news is the first year is the most expensive, as long as you don’t have claims, and/or tickets the rate will come down each year.

5. alek2001

alek2001 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2018
    You mind emailing me at iceysole1991 at gmail dot com.

Had a couple questions about starting up. And you being located in California helps a lot. Thanks

6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Sure, I'll email you on Monday.

7. LSHotshots

LSHotshots Bobtail Member

May 1, 2018

8. LSHotshots

LSHotshots Bobtail Member

May 1, 2018
    FYI, I was inspected in Childress Texas and the DOT OFFICER said he has 3 ways of determining your weight GMVW ON truck and the trailer. I was running a 14,000lbs tiger trailer at the time. Trying to stay under the 26,001lbs. I decided if DOT has that privilege than I might as well move up in trailers. I did. So be careful out there and make sure everything is maintained on your equipment. I have a CDL. BUT WAS STILL TRYING TO WARD OFF DOT!! IM A MAGNET FOR THEM. SO I DECIDED HECK GO BIGGER EVERYTHING. LOL

9. Ennat1

Ennat1 Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    North Carolina
    I'm new into doing hot shot, does anyone know where I can find astep by step list of what I need? I live in NC. I have a f450 with a5.9 Cummins. And buying a 48ft flat bed trailer (bc I got a crazy deal) any help is appreciated

10. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I have read and re-read the following thread.
    Lots of good info in it.
    So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.