I was denied from a job because of my job hopping.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brown Moose, Feb 17, 2024.

1. thatsright

thatsright Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    Probably keeps moving looking for that green.. He gets fed a line of crap about how great the place is and then finds out the truth.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That is so often the case.

And often times it is because of the advice given by many on this forum.
    Get away from that first starter company as soon as possible... get to those greener pastures.

Sometimes it works out well, more often not from what I have seen. Especially not if you keep doing it.

Bean Jr. and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Which is why you don't move/start until you get enough details from current working drivers at the new company doing the job that you will be hired to do.

Just because someone's living expenses are too high doesn't mean now is the time to quit a current job. Find out the pay BEFORE you start. Don't just find out the CPM. Don't just find out the average weekly/monthly/yearly pay. Find out the pay that the newish current driver at ABC Trucking is getting now. "Well I was desperate and needed any paycheck" isn't how you create a stable work history. The goal is a stable, satisfying, good paying job. Make decisions toward that, not what "everyone else" is doing. Most people are broke, unhappy, unhealthy. Don't do what those people do or you will get what those people get.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    wis bang Thanks this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    ^^^^^^^^^ This right here ^^^^^^^^
    The advice I give young people (& some adults), it don't matter where you work, there's gonna be an issue. It may not always be "this " issue, but it's going to be something. You can't get away from things you don't like at work. There's always gonna be something you don't like.

Most young people (and some older people) can't do this.
    First, you need to figure out what it's gonna take to make you happy. What are the most important things you need in/from a job, and put those things in chronological order. And search for jobs that offer those things. But you gotta deal with the small stuff. You can't find the perfect job, then quit because of some petty issue that comes up.
    For example, my priorities are (in order):
    I need good insurance at my age,
    I need to be home daily or at least out no more that a couple of nights a week.
    I need a good truck that I can depend on to get me out & back everyday without breakdowns. A dependable truck.
    I need average or above average pay. I dont require $80K but I'd certainly take it.

Obviously a stress free environment has got to be part of the equation. I'm 64 years old & been doing this in some form for 42 years. I think I can do this job without a babysitter. Give me a dependable truck & the paperwork. I'll let you know when I'm done or if anything happens. Otherwise, you won't hear from me & I don't need to hear from you (a bunch of inquiries).

Once you figure out what is important to you & what your priorities are in a job, then start looking and don't accept anything short of your goals. Even if it takes a couple of months...
    And again, don't sweat the small stuff. You'll have a good job that will last longer than it took you to find it.

6. carhaulerjeff

carhaulerjeff Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2016
    if a company asks why have you had so many jobs ask them why they had so many drivers. it works both ways

7. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    When I started driving back in the mid 90's. I worked plenty of Trucking driving jobs possibly 5 at one time in one year. The following years I slowed down 3 or 2. But, I would amalgamate by stretching the time frame and spreading it out. Common sense for most know that it's never good from the employers end to see a driver who job hopes because it shows a lack of dedication. Employers are people too therefore you have to think outside of the box. More is not always better especially in past job experience rather than longevity.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    So.......what type of job are you looking for? Dry van, tanker, reefer, flatbed? How about hometime? OTR, regional, local? Pay? Where would you like to be pay wise, and what are you willing to do to get it? In trucking, you're gonna have to be open and flexible to see your best paychecks. You're living in Atlanta, so local jobs are gonna be more picky. Hell local jobs are gonna be picky everywhere, but especially the south. You never find a shortage of guys who want to run local. If you want to go OTR, it'll be far easier for you to find a job than local or regional in my estimation. So tell us what your needs are, and perhaps we can get you in the right direction.

9. ThatGasDude

ThatGasDude Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2023
    You could say the same about employers. If someone has a lot of jobs its a red flag, but apparently most trucking companies having well over 100% turnover rate is completly normal. :confused:

I swear some of ya'll are your own worst enemy.

OP it's just a bad time, it's a bit of a emplyers market right now so they can be picky.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Companies having 100 percent turnover rate is totally normal....lol. I'm not so sure it's all the way the company's fault. I think some drivers never adjust to the lifestyle change. Many of them leave the industry altogether. Some drivers, like many that come on here look for the "perfect job" when trucking companies at their core, are pretty much the same.

11. Brown Moose

Brown Moose Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2023
    Alabama
    I'm currently pulling hazmat tanker OTR. I'm looking to change jobs because I'm getting starved with my current paychecks. I stay out for 4 weeks at a time and I'm only grossing $600-900/week. After taxes and deductions ,I'm lucky to bring home $400 every week. I cant even pay my own bills with that as well as pay rent. I need to at least bring home $1400/week to cover all of my bills. My DM has just been giving me short loads because the "market is tough." I been trying to tough it out for another 5 months so I have 1yr of tank experience but I don't know if I'm able to do that with these low paychecks.. I would like to get something local, but at this point I'm thinking about just moving over to food grade like Oakley or Indian. I'm sure I'll be making more money over there and not having to deal with hazmat.

Bud A. and austinmike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.