i will be driving straight box truck, is it considered experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moe21, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe that will work for you.
    Have you looked at NFI which has some dedicated accounts and they're headquartered in Cherry Hill,NJ.
    NFI hires new cdl graduates. New cdl grads must be 21 years old.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I saw an ad for a new cdl grad for a dedicated account in Newark.
    NFI basic driver qualifications include:
    Minimum 21 years of age
    Class A CDL from your state of residence
    Safe driving record.
    CDL-A DEDICATED STUDENT DRIVERS IN NEWARK, NJ AT NFI INDUSTRIES
    Date Posted: 8/26/2018

• Less than one year experience? No Problem! Ask about our Paid Transition/Training Program.
      • Six to twelve months exp - 4 weeks paid training
      • Less than 6 months exp and/or recent driving school graduates - 8 weeks paid training.
      • Recent driving school graduates must be at least 21 years of age.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moe21

Moe21 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks i will take a look at this and see if i can apply for it the problem is i did already did the drug test for the milk conpany and i dont know if i should leave it if i get this one or swift

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want to drive 18 wheelers, you'll have to leave the milk company.
    The choice is yours.

5. Ownership

Ownership Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2018
    No. You need to get at least one year over the road and then apply for city job. Anytime that you are working a city job you lose your time for over the road experience. Companies will not touch you because you do not have over the road experience just getting your CDL you need to get a job over the road.
    There are companies out there that could have you by the house thru the week.

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Cream O Land I'm pretty sure is Union. I use to see they're Florence NJ barn all the time off the NJ/PA extension of the turnpike. Pretty big barn from what I've seen. Lots of straight trucks...but they do have some Class A tractor trailers...but those are few and rare. Pay is based off of salary...around $160-180 per day + commission. Not worth it IMO...considering the LOOOOONG hours (12-14 a day) and back breaking work, dragging around milk crates. DSD (Direct Store Delivery) and sales is involved, from my understanding.

It's an OK job...if all you're looking for is local work for a newbie, but you don't really gain anything from it experience wise...except for maybe a bad back and Class B DSD experience. It may help you if want to move on to a better Milk Hauling job...like Dean Foods...hauling Dairy Pure/Tuscan products. Union gig with free healthcare and pension and make somewhere around $26-27 an hour I believe with OT after 8...but don't expect it to be a 9-5 type job. Practically all the Milk Haulers put in a ridiculous about of hours.

Or...like it was already mentioned...try looking into LTL. There's tons of them around Newark. Newark airport area is practically FedEx central. FedEx Freight has a terminal their. Union barn too. ODFL, YRC/New Penn, is also around that area...around Jersey City, Keasby. Goya Foods is also there and they hire new students. Tons of mail haulers, fuel haulers, tankers, intermodaI, car haulers, etc. also around that area. It's a heavily congested trucking area...because it's right next to the airport and railyards.

I would suggest...put in your applications everywhere and see what happens. There's no shortage of trucking jobs around that area. I think even some of the Union Car Haulers...like Jack Cooper...hires new students. Good luck.

7. Moe21

Moe21 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all this information ima start Apply all over now and hope that i will get something

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's the thing. There is SOMETHING if you fish long enough. Something will bite. Don't you worry.

Just be very careful if the employer says "DA! NANYL!" (Yes! Hired!)

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    In a way its probably better to start at the bottom and work you way up that way you'll get used to driving a shorter vehicle although still longer than a 4 wheeler learn to take wider turns around intersections that way when you eventually start with a tractor and 53' trailer you'll already be aware of the cautions needed when turning at intersections. Going from a 4 wheeler to semi driving can sometimes be quite daunting so this is a better step to take. and in the long run you'll be that much wiser.

10. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Don’t listen to the Sysco naysayers. Sure, in HIS area Sysco may be a crappy gig- but in many areas it’s a GREAT job. Research it before saying no. In my area you’ll make well over 100G’s (that’s what the guys that don’t want to hustle make) with a great pension and benefits package that includes 6 personal days and up to 6 weeks vacation.

You’ll work your butt off for it, but you’ll provide for your family quite nicely. And you get used to the work. It’s 6 months of hell, after that you’ll have it down.

That’s IF you’re in an area where your Sysco barn is a good one. I’m sure there are areas where it sucks, like the others say. Just don’t assume the one in your area does because you could be passing up a good opportunity for you and your family.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    You know what they say about you 6 wheelers??

6 wheelers only have a 6” weiner, 18 wheelers have an 18” weiner... and that’s the honest truth.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.