I witnessed a crash and just kept going. Should I have stopped?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 22, 2022.

1. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    It’s become such a litigious society, if there’s a way to collect from anyone in proximity, an attorney will figure out a way.

One of my employer’s trucks was hit by a car that crossed an interstate median. Totally not our fault. However, the plaintiff’s attorney hired a log expert who went back enough weeks to find a few minute mistake. Their attorney used the claim, had the driver not made the mistake, he wouldn’t have been there at the time his client hit our truck; he would’ve still been a few minutes back up the road. They won their case against us.

I just saw a billboard, last night, where a firm was claiming $55B in rewards…yes, billion. That says everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I honestly wouldn't care how serious the hit was. It's not his problem and he was right to keep it moving. And it's unfortunate that we have to question ourselves on whether to help people in situations like this, but at the end of the day we have a CDL to protect as it provides for our families and I'll be dam.ned if I'm not able to provide for my family.

4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'd have stopped and offered my cam footage for compensation

5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I see the “ me, me, me” crowd is alive and well. That’s sad.

6. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Where have you been?

7. mstrchf117

mstrchf117 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Unless you have medical training or seriously out in the middle of nowhere, better off just keep driving. If the accident blocks the road I guess it's a different story though.

Coover Thanks this.
  8. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    No whats sad is the me me me crowd is never at fault and will sue you you you cuz its never the fault of me me me.

9. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    It was posted somewhat in jest, but fact of matter is that the reving motorhead entered an intersection without making sure it was clear...

Now..you think I should provide my private cam footage to eliminate investigative and court costs related to a criminal and/or civil suit out of the goodness of my heart?
    BTW this country has been monetizing any and everything for over 30 years imho

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If I can’t park safely and out of the way I wouldn’t stop. That’s all you need is a rubbernecker slamming into the back of your trailer because you’re not completely off the road or something.

The old school guys will tell you you’re wrong because they would’ve stopped and had everyone bandaged up by the time the ambulance arrived, but we live in a different time now. I don’t need to be involved in a lawsuit for something that didn’t start out my problem but later became my problem.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good point. You're right. I wish you weren't.

12. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Me personally i wouldve called it in at the very least.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.