I witnessed a crash and just kept going. Should I have stopped?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    You did what you decided was the correct response for you.

I had NEVER been in such situation of witnessing a Vehicular Accident whether of Automobiles or Tractor Trailer Combos or Box Trucks, so I've no idea what I would have done or, IF in the future, possibly do. Most likely not much as I may well be the victim or one of the victims.

I'VE NEVER BEEN MEDICALLY TRAINED so no such activity would I perform or assist REGARDLESS of who might say/state/claim "I'm a nurse or doctor or related".
    Yeah, I'm a Circus Monkey, how's that gonna help eh?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Not my problem, not my business.

4. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Kind of a tough call. It's easy to leave and just forget about it. But what if there was a child in the back seat and it caught fire or any number of things that can happen during/after a collision. I would hate to have it on my conscience that someone passed away because I was concerned that my stopping would inconvenience me.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I had to scale my truck so I was looking local for a public scale. So I thought I found one at the local concrete place, but nope. I sat at the signal, waiting for a green. It turned, it was safe, then I realized there was a guy not stopping. I swerved, so only the bumpers kissed. I think I fared much better than he. He started in about my running the light. This guy in a pickup stopped and yelled out "I saw the whole thing! That guy ran the light and it was all his fault." And away he went!

I would have has my bumper fixed if I could have gotten his info! Oh well, a little scuff on the bumper. BTW, in a pov.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah agree totally doing a U - bolt and running would more tend to make people think you've got something to hide, what about trying to actually help if someone was harmed in the road incident? I'd ring up the local police and try and see if you can make an anonymous witness statement about the incident. It really just depends how serious the car crash was. This also gives more evidence against those who dislike the idea of onboard camera's which would totally prove the driver was just near the incident rather than the cause of the whole issue.

7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on tv.
    download.jpg

8. diamondd817

diamondd817 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2020
    Best case scenario, 5yrs from now you will still be receiving calls from lawyers to testify and make and sign off on statements. No thanks

9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Sadly the good people here WANT to stop and help, for many it chafes that we cant. But the government or more specificly lawyers using poorly worded laws and/or past cases as well as the public preception of drivers being ####### have made helping anyone for any reason a good chance your going to get caught up in a giant lawsuit. Sure the odds are low but not THAT low. Best thing to do is as others have suggested. Call it in, say you couldnt stop because semi and no place to safely stop and keep on rolling.

If you stop best case you save a life sure. Worst case some douch in a BMW doing 75 in a 25 is going to slam into the back of your parked truck and suddenly the lawyers will spin the whole indicent as your fault and now your life is ruined. God forbid if it causes a chain reaction. Not worth the risk.

10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Hammer down. I've seen a few myself close up. I don't stick around. Gotta look out for #1 bud.

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    In todays society, there's no way to win in these situations. Stop to help... you get sued.
    Drive away & someone's lawyer will have your trucks info out there looking for you cause you didn't stop to render aid.... and sue you for that.

No way to win in todays society.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.