I Wonder Why My Wheel Seal Blew?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Not all wheel ends are the same. Some have changed in the last 100 years.
    You do have to think about it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Just a funny afterthought, I searched the SAE spec referenced on the chart. You have to pay to see it so I did not go further. However, one of the results that came up was a Meritor document pitching their wheel bearing adjustment system, which is Dr Preload. This is neither here nor there, but interesting as the Dr Preload guy never mentioned any tie-ins with Meritor, despite me telling him my trucks had Meritor axles. Seems like it would have been ideal sales leverage.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Sounds like Meritor may have bought them out after your conversation with him? I like the idea of the Dr. Preload but I get it pretty close to perfect following the TMC guidelines and verify that with a gauge per their instructions.

5. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    never lookin your threads again lol.

E1391330-3EF8-4938-9990-BA69CBF60372.jpeg 96885167-6925-43B3-B6CA-B8CA89C08166.jpeg

6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Who knows? May have been a licensing or co-development deal, possibly a spin-off company. The linked pdf has a 2015 date on it and I placed my order 5 months ago.

ETA: I never heard of it until stumbling across a mention of it in the 9+ mpg FB group maybe a year ago. To be fair, I'm not on FB much at all the past few years, so it probably had been mentioned many times before and I never seen it. Also haven't been to MATS since 4-5 years ago or I'd have seen them there.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Ha! I jinxed you! At least you got to handle it at home though instead of getting bent over by a shop while on the road.

8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Back in the ancient times of Timken Axles and Rockwell-Standard their drive axles used two cotter pins to lock the nuts. They went into drilled holes on both sides of the spindle tube. The flattened head of the cotter was inside the tube with the axle shaft. This never got loose. A design that can still be used today because those old axles arn’t much different then the new ones 70-80 years later. Even though considered obsolete most of the older models make the new ones look weak in comparison. They have tried to simplify axle ends for idiots and make “safer” but have actually removed the ultimate fail safe. A simple cotter pin.

9. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    That’s true. Gotta look at the silver lining lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.