Idaho Med Card Renewal

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cattleman84, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Anyone ever electronically submitted thier new medical card to the state via email to dlmail@itd.idaho.gov ? I know my former company did it for us drivers that way, but I've never done it for myself. Just wanting some feedback as to others experience with the process.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

FMCSA PDF for each state's process for submitting new DOT Medical Certificates.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc...instructions-submitting-med-certificate_1.pdf

YES‐ medical cards can be e‐ mailed to: dlmail@itd.idaho.gov Only the wallet card is required‐ not the long form medical examiner’s report

Idaho’s self‐certification process can be completed quickly and easily online at Idaho DMV CDL License Status Registration Drivers who are required to submit a medical card to ITD may submit the card via FAX, E‐mail, US Mail, or may take the card to any County Driver’s License office to be scanned.

Idaho CDL Helpdesk
    208‐334‐8739

Idaho Fax number for new DOT Medical Card
    (208) 334‐8586

State of Idaho Self-Certification page
    Idaho DMV CDL License Status Registration

4. tscottme

You can send a fax of your medical card from your smartphone with any number of smartphpone apps. I have an android and used TinyScanner for years. Free, pretty easy. Take a pic with my phone, name the document, send it as a PDF.

Cattleman84 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I do mine in Arizona that way. Never had a problem.

I also make a copy and mail it in, just to be sure.

I've noticed the on line way, it's updated within 48 hours.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    2 years ago when covid still had offices only taking appointments.

You had to print the certification form. Fill it out and sign it.

Email that form along with your long form. I don't know how you find out about the status. I got a RECIEVED reply 90 days later. I had to deal with the cops a week after I emailed mine and nothing was said so I assume it was handled. I just didn't get a reply till 90ish days later.

You send in the long form.

We haven't had the card for a few years now. I just did mine last month I think for the 4th time with no card.

I don't know why the rest of you are still getting cards.

Offices are open now so this time I went in.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  7. tramm01

tramm01 Road Train Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Idaho
    Just had mine renewed a couple months ago at Rocky Mountain Med and they sent in

8. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    I just take a picture of it and email it in with my lic # and they always respond the next business day that it has been updated.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    How do you guys get it updated without the certification form?

10. tscottme

Idaho says on the website listed above do not send them your long form, just send a copy of your DOT medical cert card. Once the state has a copy of your DOT medical cert card you do not need to carry it with you. Carrying your DOT card may be an employer requirement and some facilities may require it. It's not required by the FMCSA or any state I can find and every story I hear about having to carry it dates back to the days BEFORE we had to report DOT medical exams to the state that issued your CDL. I drove under short-haul exemption for logging HOS for almost 2 decades and was still hearing drivers claim crossing state borders triggered a HOS logging requirement for all of that time. I vaguely remember when I got my CDL in 1994 that crossing state lines MIGHT have triggered something about log books, but it went away sometime between 1994 and 1999 even though most drivers still assume it is in effect, if it ever was a requirement.

11. tscottme

You can update your certification using the State of Idaho website Idaho DMV CDL License Status Registration
    Enter your CDL number and date of birth and click continue. You chose which of the 4 status applies to you. You do not send in any paper form. You can take your DOT Medical card to the DMV office in person, mail them a copy, or fax a PDF to them at their fax number listed in post #2 above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.