Ideas on Load Securment

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Arisonius, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    @ChaoSS Here's an update: Imgur

My thoughts on the securement of the front are to use a binder from the bus to the rear of the trailer. I'm still looking into finding out what the WLL of the trailer points are so that I can be sure I'm not shorting myself there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What make and model of trailer?

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    If there's no sticker on the trailer it should be in the manual, but if you are using chain that fits in the chain slots it's probably ok.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Some sort of sticker or a stamped on plate somewhere's on the front left side. That trailer has the chain slots and looks to be sturdy. If those slots fit 3/8th chain, you can bet the WLL will be at the very least 6600 lbs.

ChaoSS Thanks this.
  6. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    In the second picture the hooks are on backwards. I know how can the hooks be backwards you say . well actually it's the clevis pins that are backwards and yes there is a difference.
    It is my contention that a tie DOWN is always best but a wheeled vehicle flexes too much and will snap the chains so putting them on an angle ''allowes'' some give.
    Fame away.

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The reason you don't tie a wheeled vehicle down is because tying something down increases the friction between the unit and the trailer. A wheeled vehicle has wheels, which means this won't work. The vehicle will be able to roll forward and backward a bit, and as it does so the chains will have a little bit of a forward or rearward angle which will arrest movement, but the angle is severe and it puts an enormous strain on the chains to provide a small amount of securement,

8. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I secure wheeled and tracked vehicles all the time.
    I had a 20 passenger tour or shuttle bus that was fiberglass up on my 26,000 GVW truck.
    I moved a home heating oil truck,(empty,) like delivers oil to your house.
    Bought and moved a 16 ft. flatbed that had a 10 foot lift scissor lift bed. That was heavy.
    Each time I used multiple points of securement front and rear, the rear hooks to axle, chains crossed
    in an X pattern, the front was on the winch with a split bridle, either to the front axle or frame,
    and adding 2 safety chains, in case it decided to move. Additionally, with anything real heavy,
    I either throw a chain over the frame, and use a load binder to tighten it down, or two hooks
    to the top lip of the frame on either side, in the truck center, also with load binders to tighten.
    Springs and spring shackles are not a tie down point, also I've seen the punched holes
    in car frames rip out and loosen the securement; better to use the axles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.