If Economy Completely Tanks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by red_house, Mar 19, 2008.

1. red_house

red_house Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Would like input from veteran drivers concerning their opinion of the most likely outcome for the trucking industry, if the economy keeps going the wrong way. Which drivers will have the most job security? Reefer, van, or flat drivers?Do veteran drivers run the risk of being pushed out and replaced with drivers on the lower end of the pay scale?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    People will always have to eat.

And people will always need toilet paper after they eat.

That covers reefers and van.

4. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    And bull racks. :biggrin_2559::yes2557:

5. red_house

red_house Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2008
    We just use the McDonald's wrapper down here........

6. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    More beer is sold during a recession.

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I think flatbed may be the way to go. Consider:

The flatbed segment may get you more of the genuine long-haul runs. Do flats run many of those overnight fireball runs for only 400 miles? Also, people talk about all the vans they see on trains. Do they see many loaded flatbeds piggybacking the rails?

8. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    I don't think any particular type of trailer will be stronger than any other, there will just be less of them as everything gets cut back. With operating costs sky rocketing, there may be a lot of O/Os, especially new ones, who might have to pack it in. Lots of smaller and or poorly run companies might fold, as well. Larger, or well run medium size, companies will have their pick of drivers, if the pay stays decent. If they can get more experienced, safe drivers, they might be able to reduce their insurance costs.

There will be a need for some sort of truck delivery for the foreseeable future, even if they are robotic, without drivers. Railroads can't do the 'to the door delivery' in most cases. It's why they lost so much business to the trucks in the 50's and 60's.

9. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    No becuase the material they would put on a Flat they would put into a rail car.. Coils, bars, lumber ext.. are hauled all the time by rail

10. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Which supports my original claim that the rails are gonna rise from the grave.

But for those who are lucky enough to remain a solo driver, I'd guess more than likely the majority will be flattop drivers.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I would say that this is very likely. In fact, I believe it has been ongoing for years with many companies. Most of the biggest companies appear to me to feel like it is cheaper to "train" a new driver than it is to PAY a veteran.

These companies don't give a rip about who is driving their trucks, all they care about is getting the load there. The "drivers are a dime a dozen" attitude is alive and well at places like Swift, CRE, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.