If Economy Completely Tanks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by red_house, Mar 19, 2008.

1. red_house

red_house Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2008
    By "more immigrant drivers", I assume you are referring to illegal hispanics. Have read your post history and believe that you are a good guy, so this rant is not directed at you, however, you did hit a sore spot......I have had my own, small (5-10 employees) construction business for 30 years and made a decent living, until the last few years. Each year it gets harder to compete with the cheapskate, slap it up and get the money (even if it falls apart next year) builders who use the ******** cut throat, south of OUR border illegal mother******* to slap it up..........I have no problem with someone trying to better themselves and make a living for their family, but Mexico and Mexicans HAVE driven their country into the ground and now our great leaders are on the very brink of allowing them to do the same to us.........I have never thought of myself as a racist and not sure I do now. To be fair, guess OUR politicians are more to blame than anyone..........

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Just curious, how do you know the competition is using illegal immigrants ?

Or are we supposed to lump all Spanish speakers together in one big pile?

From your comments, I would seriously consider you begin to actually "think of myself as a racist".

4. red_house

red_house Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Nothing I say would have an impact on you, Ronno. Have read enough of your posts to realize that. One dimensional comes to mind......God forbid, you ever find yourself in Northwest Arkansas, let me know. I will show you........

5. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Anywhere, USA
    You're kidding right?
    Here in AZ, as soon as the law that required employers to verify employees and punish those who didn't took affect, a LOT of construction companies shrank in size very fast. :biggrin_25513:

This happened just as the housing bubble burst here, so it wasn't noticed by many outside the business.

6. Ronnocomot

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    I visit the area several times a year. I find the most annoying thing I see are the University of Arkansas sports fans.

7. Ronnocomot

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    So anyone who does not speak English 100% of the time is automatically an illegal alien?

I wonder if you have a problem with the Chinese guys in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant speaking Mandarin, or are they to be considered illegal as well?

Profile much?

8. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)

not really thunking of illegals - but more like what has happened to containers in chicago -

a bunch of LEGAL russian / slavs willing to work for 9 bucks an hour.

9. Ronnocomot

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    If you were a business owner, would you pay a higher wage if you had to, or would you get the best return on your money?

If the cargo arrives safely for 9 bucks an hour, why pay more?

10. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    problem is - the number of uninsured russian "owner ops" and guys who have had no formal training is growing - and accidents not only in the yards - but on the streets has also gone up...

11. Ronnocomot

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Obviously the number of accidents has not reached a point where shippers have said "#### those Russians, my freight is getting destroyed".

So the economics of using cheaper labor is still in the shippers favor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.