If I break off one of the two antennas will it prevent the radio from transmitting?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by while parked, Jan 4, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Take off the plastic mirror cover . Im not sure on a volvo but for wat its worth on my peterbilt the plastic cover held on with philips screws. Take that off and turn ur mirror all the way facing inside with switch on door, just like if ur adjusting the mirrors. Once u do that Theres a little tab u push on the side of the plastic holder that locks the mirror in place , flip that and mirror should come all the way off, be careful and dont let it drop or snap the wires for ur mirror heaters. Once mirror is off u should get a good look of the braket and coax cables thats running to ur antenna mount

while parked Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. while parked

while parked Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I'm afraid to tell them I broke the antenna because the tree branches also scratched up the paint. So when they go to replace the antenna they're going to notice the scratches. So I was hoping I could buy a replacement antenna and put it on myself this weekend.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania

If the trucks all have the same radios maybe switch the mics. Would only take a minute and would rule that out without touching the tool box. If the needle swings after the switch you may have found the problem.

D.Tibbitt and while parked Thank this.
  5. while parked

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok I will try that first. Yes we all have the same radios. I did think it was kinda odd that the needle didn't move when I pushed the mic button. I know nothing about CB radios though and didn't know if that was normal. I am a local driver and CB radios aren't really a part of my day.

D.Tibbitt and GFTLLC Thank this.
  6. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    If my cb mic acts up my needle will not swing. That's why I am making the suggestion. I have broken cb antennas off and if you're close enough you could still be heard. Mine is also a dual set-up. Keep us posted and good luck.

while parked and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes it should just screw into the connector. Shouldnt take but 15mins. Could buy a cHeap antenna for 15 bucks and call it a day. I wouldnt worry about getting in trouble for that tho. #### happens and guys rip their antennas off all the time in tree branches . good luck let us know wat happens

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    If you've kept your nose clean they probably won't care. #### happens. If they freak out over that then maybe you should find a better company.

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

You didn’t mention what brand of cb radio you have. If it’s a Cobra 29, there are a couple of switches you need to check. Make sure the S/RF/Cal/SWR switch is in the S/RF position. If it happens to be in SWR mode, the needle won’t move when you key the mic. Also make sure the CB/PA switch is in CB position or else no one will hear you, because the radio won’t transmit in PA mode. Of course make sure your on the same channel as the person next to you with the mic gain knob turned up. If still nothing, then there’s a problem in the radio. This should still apply to most other brands of radios.

10. while parked

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes it is a Cobra 29. You didn't sound like you thought the broken antenna is a likely cause of the radio not working. Other guys are talking about it being a dual antenna system, and if one gets broke it screws up everything. Or something like that. I will check those radio settings tomorrow FOR SURE. I never used that truck before so I don't know if the radio worked or not. But I assume it did because it is one of the trucks that do daily pick ups at a particular shipper, and the only way to communicate with that shipper is via CB radio. So when I broke that antenna I worried it might not work for the driver who regularly uses that truck. But I will swap out the mic and check those CB settings to see if this indeed the problem (fingers crossed). If the radio still works, nobody is even going to notice the missing antenna. No I wouldn't get in trouble for breaking the antenna. Not even close. But it is the scratches on the paint that I am uncomfortable with. Stupid me got my tractor stuck in the tree, more or less, while trying to get into a hole.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really what?

i get you don't know a lot so here is why I asked.

Some truck manufacturers have multiplexed the cb and the am/fm antenna while others have used the right antenna as the am/fm antenna and the left one as the cb antenna, this is why I asked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.