If i get paid for percentage of a load....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sgtcole69, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jeffm379

jeffm379 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I get paid percentage. I get it paid before fuel. We use a dispatcher who brokers loads. So I ask her what the load pays the truck figure out my 24% and keep track of it everyday. My lowest pay so far was $1600 take home and that was for 7 days of work. I also drive a 2000 long nose 379 and never get less then 7.4mpg.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

But......But, That's impossible!:biggrin_2559:

Just ask any steeringwheelholder...You can't get more than 4 MPG with a long hood!:biggrin_25523:

Logan76 Thanks this.
  4. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I get paid before fuel, but after the fuel surcharge. If my loads are $2.00/mile, I do good. These Florida loads suck big hairy monkey balls. I don't know why the boss takes these. I doubt if the truck is getting $1.50/mile going down there :biggrin_25510:

If I'm going to stay, I need 33% to make decent moola.

My old dump truck driving gig paid me 28% before rule. It was based on tonnage or $75 hourly.

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    There are all kinds of per centage agreements. I have known drivers getting per centage that were paying for the fuel, in that case you should get a higher per centage and ALL of the fuel surcharge. If you are NOT paying for the fuel, you should get your percentage of the gross linehaul, and NONE of the surcharge.

6. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Be sure you understand whether you are considered a contractor or an employee too. This will dictate whether you have to withhold your own income tax and Social Security and make quarterly payments to IRS.

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    you bet percentage is the only way i work. i had a driver run with me once we loaded and unloaded at the same place got to talking. he found out i made $3700 more than he did. the following week he leased on with the company i work for and he has never looked back. :biggrin_2556::biggrin_2556:

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yes, that is correct. Run 2,600 miles a week and getting 7.5mpg in an aero compared to the 6.5mpg in a "hood" is roughly $400 a week. You also have to remeber that most of these drivers do not own the truck, so they run at the maxmium speed allowed and also have very few fuel saving techniques......

I know that a hood will get close to 6-7mpg, but there are a lot more prostars and Cascadia's getting closer to 8mpg daily. Have not found a hood yet capable of this, and if I did, I'd buy it.

Now with that said, you CAN get good MPG in a hood, but a aero truck doing the exact same load, running the same route will almost ALWAYS get better MPG. You might be one of the random few who get this outstanding MPG with your W9 but I do know that the W9 I owned, along with the 379 and the current WS Lowmax, have all gotten less mpg's than my FLD did. The best was my 1998 379 with the detroit that got 7.2mpg regularly. My FLD avg'd 8.1mpg for the 7 years I owned it

I still will take the long nose over an aero tho, don't get me wrong, i will just drive it a lot less agressive than 99% of company drivers and try to get the best MPG I can get.

9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Of course it is, we all know that the price of cool isnt cheap.

SHC Thanks this.
  10. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

I averaged 8.3 MPG on my way out here this trip....Light load and good interstate running...I'll do about that same mileage on the load I'm loading tonight because it's also pretty light and not very high.

These loads both pay very well and that's the key...I do not haul cheap freight!
    I run the type of equipment that I choose to and I run it the way I choose to and I only accept loads that pay me well.
    To many idiots out here try to cut corners so they can afford to haul the crappy freight at the crappy rates that they're offered.
    That's not how I run my business! My truck and trailer are paid for and have been for quite some time.
    I could afford to haul cheaper than I do...But, Why the hell would I want to do that?
    It's a stupid way to do business.

I'm sure that with the right driver and the right conditions that a Crapcadia or one of those other areotoilets can get better mileage than I can but, If I had to drive one of those things, I'd just hang up the keys and do something else.

11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I hear ya, I don't like them either. I have been looking at brand new rigs for the last 3 months and have seen and driven them all.
    The Cascadia's are great for fleet owners but I hated the "plastic everything" and the Pro Stars were garbage.
    The only aero i would consider was the T660, but the price is getting out of control there as well.
    So I have decided to narrow it down to a new 389....nothing beats the look and feel of driving a hood. And the only reason I went with the Pete was becuase I liked the interior layout and sleeper and also the flap-tops are more redaily available than a W9 flat-top. Tho the Studio sleepers are very very nice!!!

And thank you for not hauling cheap freight. Too many guys think they have to run run run and will not take the time to do the work to find the better paying loads or even sit a fw days for a load that pays well. The mentality seems to be if the wheels stop, the pay stops. Well, if your wheels are turning for $1.25 a mile then I'd rather sit and wait for a $3 mile load to get mine turning!

danny_379 and Logan76 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.