If minimum wage goes up to 15 bucks an hour?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Oct 3, 2017.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    That means every poor person you know could move to Louisville and change their whole life with a Greyhound ticket. We have buses for those without cars and we have a cheap/####ty side of town where rooms can be had for 2-300 a month just like where they live.

There are dirt poor people from the 3rd world who do CRAZY stuff to get to this country for precisely these kinds of opportunities. Right this second if you're poor it's pretty much your fault. I get it if you have a serious disability of some sort, but that's already covered by something that isn't labeled welfare. Even if the biggest source of welfare in this country is the disability system lol.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that if poor person A who works at KFC for minimum wage in the sticks has ever had 1000 dollars in cash at any point in their whole life, they had enough money to move to a better job market. Most of the ones who aren't trying to be poor do exactly that. That's why the population of these ghost towns keeps declining! And don't tell me they haven't had that much money before. They have that much money every year at tax time. So they spend the money on meaningless object(s) and suffer through another year.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I have a cousin that has 5 kids, had her first when she was 15. 3 different fathers. Welfare and all. She works but makes minimum wage.

The point being depo is not permanent, I didn't say sterilization. Stop taking depot and within a couple of months a woman can become pregnant.

There are plenty of scumbags that have more children simple for more handouts.

4. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Actually it will make wages rise for people that are making more than minimum wage. You said it yourself on your post about drivers quitting if they can make more at home so therefore trucking companies will have to raise their wages in order to keep their drivers. Raising the minimum wage helps every worker.

Toomanybikes and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    And these people are INFURIATING for everyone who knows them. We are all sitting here watching someone who we are RELATED TO going down some god awful path... and that path is being made possible by the welfare system.

Once someone has seen that you'll never convince them the whole system isn't rotten. Even if the average stay on the welfare rolls is 2 years and the people driving that number that high are actually a pretty small % of total recipients over time them being allowed to just mooch off of society rubs everyone the wrong way.

So welfare must become either universal (UBI), much smarter, or it must become nothing. Government in general needs to start really thinking about how it can deliver services more efficiently. The whole reason we're all so angry about government spending is that we interact with the government all the time and always feels oppressive, slow, and overcomplicated in the extreme. Nobody with first hand experience of the government the baby boomers built wants anything to do with it. If the government were actually delivering useful services to us we'd be a lot less butt hurt.

6. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    As if these companies won't do that regardless of what the minimum wage is.

Toomanybikes, DTP and Danajc Thank this.
  7. hoosiergirl

hoosiergirl Light Load Member

May 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Um, ya-I understood what you were saying. I just think it's despicable. What if I thought your iq was too low to procreate and wanted you temporarily castrated until you could raise it? Or I thought you were too ugly to procreate?

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  8. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    consider cost of living and rent. there are indexes to source online. ny vs anywhere else...? your $21/hr is $13/hr most other places. the same job here pays the "same" but in reality is like you making $30+/hr.

ive made 50k @ $15/hr. i doubt ot will be offered any place forced to comply, but a decent living can be made on that wage. where one lives will be the deciding factor. i raised a child and put a woman through undergrad and 2 years of law school making under $20/hr the entire time.

edit: i live in central indiana.

9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I am "at home", I was talking about all drivers in general, myself working locally included.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    It's not about iq or being ugly.....its about making government welfare and handouts so uncomfortable that no one would want it. Mandatory drug testing too.... hair follicle testing. You have to have a drug test for work, why do they get a handout and no drug test?

Want to have kids? Get off public assistance. What an incentive to get off of the cool aide.

11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    That might be true, sadly $13 is typical around here and often it's less. I saw a temp service ad trying to pay less then minimum wage, over a month after it was increased.

Ny has a high cost of living, but is wage depressed. It's a cause and effect, much higher taxes cause depressed wages.

There are towns in Erie country that are paying $6,000 dollars in property taxes annually. Stupid. I live in North java, a rural town in Wyoming county. My taxes are around $2,400 which is still high nationally.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.