If my eyesight fails a DOT Phys, will Lasik fix it so I can pass?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Jonathan Worsley, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Jonathan Worsley

Jonathan Worsley Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I recently got a job offer at Western Express. I realized that my CDL and DOT Physical were about to expire, so I quickly went to renew both. I renewed my CDL without hassle, but when I went to renew my DOT Physical, the doctor said my right eye wasn't going to pass and my left eye barely passed. I don't know what to do. I have an orientation scheduled this Monday, but if they try to renew my DOT Physical and find out my eyesight won't pass, they'll surely deny me the job. Can my eyesight be fixed with LASIK eye surgery, or some other kind of eyesight surgery, or is my career as a truck driver pretty much doomed? Is there anyone who had a similar problem and managed to get it fixed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Go to an Optometrists, get glasses and move on.

I can't believe you been driving blind.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  4. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    I'm wearing glasses currently...

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    My last dot physical I had to wear my glasses, she gave me no choice, so I am assuming you were wearing your glasses.

If you were wearing glasses, then go to an Optometrists and see what's going on.

Lasik and other forms of physical correction has more risks than does wearing glasses, I know from my sister who was legally blind and went through three operations, the first to correct her blindness through Lasik and then two others to fix the problems than Lasik caused. It was a nightmare, she could not do a thing and with two young brats at home, it was even worst when her husband was across the country.

stillwurkin and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm surprised you renewed your license.

They always check my eyes. I would assume they have the same 20/40 requirement.

They also check for colors.

7. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    Well I guess this means I'll have to reschedule my orientation. This sucks because I already quit my job and worst case scenario if I have to find another job, it's usually pretty difficult to find one between January and March where I live.

8. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    My current DOT is still good up to July 2019. That's probably why they let me renew my license. The only reason I was trying to renew my DOT now was because they told me they'd give me one on my first day and I wanted to make sure everything was alright ahead of time, less I be denied the job.

9. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    By the way, thanks for the replies.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have to go to a eye surgeon to examine your eyes to determine the problem and issue a proper prescription for your new glasses.

Burning a shaky prescription directly onto your corneas via lasik etc is not the solution and actually puts you at risk for a permanent issues after.

A eye surgeon can understand exactly the root cause of whatever it is you got going on. You have to have a proper vision with or without glasses. But not via Lasik.

Your orientation can wait a time. There is no rush, especially if your eyes have say developed cataracts and finally started to affect your vision for example, or any one of hundreds of physical defects via heath problems which are revealed inside your eyes first among other clues if any.

You can drive a car on one good eye. Anyone can. But not a semi. You would be a fool to do it.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Go to the eye doctor, get glasses or contacts.

I've considered Lasik myself, but after talking to some people who've had it done, and reading a little about it, I decided it simply wasn't worth the risk to me. I know a couple people who have had it done with great results, and some who told me don't do it. My boss had it done right after they started doing lasik, he likes it but still has to wear glasses at night.

Remember, you only get two eyes, and that's it. Once you screw them up, you can't get new ones. And with Lasik, all it takes is a little human error to really screw it all up.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.