*If* speed limiters are required how will it affect you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Trevor 57

Trevor 57 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2021
    Victoria Australia
    It has been a very long time since trucking was a preferred job, it has been at the bottom of the list for a very very long time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Are you one of the people going 63-64 to my 65, and when I use PasSmart to pass you at 68 you are suddenly doing my speed to block me?

Do it long enough and I'll think, oh, this driver is now driving faster so I'll just fall back and reset to 65.
    As soon as I get behind, that driver slows down again.

Are you one of THOSE people?

tscottme, 401-Alex, UturnGirl and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Trevor 57

Dec 7, 2021
    Victoria Australia
    sounds like caravaners in Australia :D:D:D

Truck and Bus speed limiters here are set at 100 kmh (62 mph) via the GPS, not speedo's, so true 100 kmh - all done through the engine management system

Most cars here have a 3 to 5% error built in, so whilst their speedo says they are doing 100, most times they are actually doing 95 to 97 kmh - a ####ing pain in the arse

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    No

6. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Your right they’re pointless because there’s to many variables to make them a safe speed all the time for all vehicles. I do however typically follow there suggestion because I don’t like feeding the pig and most of the time it’s reasonable. I am against this mainly because I don’t want more government oversight since they only continue to control more and more of our lives. And the more they get the more they want.

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Because the government can't afford the loss of speeding ticket revenue. That's exactly why Montana went back to having numerically defined speed limits after they tried having a "reasonable and prudent" speed limit.

8. Trevor 57

Dec 7, 2021
    Victoria Australia
    you know, we had all those arguments 30 years ago here when all HV's were forced to have speed limiters, but you know what, people just adapted.

Yes, they can be ####ing frustrating at times, you have to plan more, but hey what else do you do when sitting behind the wheel on a long haul, and our trucks are mostly multi-trailers and 68 ton and above (B-Doubles, A-Doubles, B Triples and Road Trains)

They have put in a lot of overtaking lanes here on non-freeway/motorway roads to allow for the overtaking of slower vehicles

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Don't worry there will be a autonomous truck to take you place.. it won't be required to take a 10 hr break like you are either.... frieght will still move at the same rate

10. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    That’s good because I like my beer and tacos for a good price and don’t need the freight markup.

But I do want to get back on the road, but not enough to get stuck in a train of trucks going 60 mph bumper to bumper. I draw the line on two things. Driver facing camera and the above fore mentioned.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Anyone ever get on a two lane road and actually follow the posted speed limit and say to themselves 'they've got to be joking, right?'

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.