If we are supposed to be these "profesionals"...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by quickway, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    You can still cheat e-logs, there are ways. Specially city driving between lights lol.

I personally don't have a problem with the current hos rules but then again it's all I have ever known. I can generally drive a full 10.5 hours with 2-3 15 min rest stops in there. But I have a lot of stamina (least that's what my girl tells me, haHA). I will hang in there and get those last 60 miles to the next rest stop rather than a truck stop because I don't want to take the time to exit the highway, though I'm sure my bladder will get back at me someday for it. So far my best record is 658 miles in 11.25 hours with three 15 min stops. Hooah! EDIT: that's 10.5 hours driving and 45 mins off duty.

Oh and a note, if I am feeling fatigued...eys fuzzy, tunnel vision, trouble focusing....I stop at the very next place I can. I fell asleep driving my car once and got woke up by the zipper strip. Scared the bejeezus outta me and I will never let it happen again. A good 6+ hours of sleep right before a long stretch of driving and I know I'm good.

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    if you guys remember the reason for HOS change was people wouldn't follow the rules and so they made it stricter. now they don't follow and its Elogs. if we keep it up the man will be riding with us all of the time!

mustang970 Thanks this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    (mono tone) Does not compute! :biggrin_25520:

Them sleep habits tell me you have sleep apnea. Go see a doctor! :biggrin_25523:

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

It isn't the government as much as it is a handful of major carriers who are really pushing the elogs. They actually put a bill together and had a couple of senators present it to congress. It wasn't that people were not following the rules but some outside organizations felt that they knew better than drivers as to how we should drive and get our rest. MADD and a few others were behind the many changes to the hos. And the man is with us all the time now.

6. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    The dinosaurs didn't adapt to change, and look what happened to them.

7. quickway

quickway Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    Unlike a dinosaur I can do other things..and I also said either "get with it or get lost". And I'm choosing to "get lost" as soon as possible. Some change I can adapt to......and there is some chage I refuse to adapt to. Ya see...I'm not so old as to be tied to any one thing.

8. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    Think of this, daycab drivers have no sleeper, so a 10 off duty break doesnt mean 10 hours of sleep, theres the time getting to home/back to the truck, eating, showering, time with family at night. So that ten hour rest period might be only 3.5-4 hours of sleep. Even with a sleeper, just cause your in it doesnt mean your sleeping.

quickway Thanks this.
  9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I tend to agree that a driver knows best but then you have a few that go too far. But look at the HOS in another way. I know some of you guys have been around longer than I have but have you ever worked for a company that pushed you really hard without any concern for your safety? I have way back in the 70's. They say just get 20 minutes or so slumped over the steering wheel and you'll make it. Sometimes I was glad I could use the laws in my favor.

I learned long ago that my ambition was to work myself up the ladder to a company that was top on the pay scale and followed the rules for my safety. I'm not speaking of HOS but more about the company taking my word about anything when it came to the operation of the truck. No arguement from the bosses just a kindly "OK, take it to the shop it you feel it's best". Or I don't feel to good today and right away they hire another company to cover my loads. It took me many jobs and a few years but I made it there and really learned what trucking was all about from a corporation stand point and how it's better to side with a driver than answer to a judge.

quickway Thanks this.
  10. quickway

quickway Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    Very well put driver....its the few that took it to far that have us all jammed up right now.

GasHauler Thanks this.
  11. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    Had a heart attack 3 years ago and sold my truck and trailer. People said I would miss the "Road". WRONG! That heart attack was the best thing that happened to me. Woke me up to the fact that there's a life outside of trucking. Before you guys jump too hard I spent 30+ years driving one of those #### things. The hell with the bureaucrats,companies, and stupid FMCSA. I am for anybody that gets out of the #### industry and makes a go at something else. Hell, it used to be a great job but for me that all changed with the new hours and $$$$ grabbin jerks in the industry. Course there was $$$$$ grabbin jerks when I was driving. The longer I'm out of it the happier I get. I sleep in my own bed at night, shower in my own bathroom, set down to supper at my own table, and do as I #### well please without any gov't interference. Quickway, go for it. You won't miss it as much as you think you will and if you do just get on this forum and it will perk you right back up and make you glad you don't drive. It sure does me a world of good.

quickway, CondoCruiser and Wargames Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.