If you’re company driver how much $ do you make

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Velos, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTRReeferRunner

OTRReeferRunner Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Negative on .35 per mile! I made that in 1994 with them as well. He did the right thing to cancel his training. He made more then that will some of the LTL comanies driver training program, with better benefits and be home daily!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    This mentality is such horse ####. "Get a job or die". Really man?

What a ####ty thing to say to your children. It's like boomers can't even fathom the idea that they might need their kids to take care of them in old age.

Parents telling their kids to get "get a job or die" is probably why their kids just throw them in soulless ####ty nursing homes in their old age instead of taking care of them.

America has it ### backwards. In most places around the world, including first world countries like Spain or Italy, it's normal for 3 generations to live under one household for a period of time. It's also normal for kids to move out when they marry in their late 20's or so, or to let the kids live at home in their 20's to save up and get ahead.

my cousin, in her mid 20's, lived with my grandma from about 20-25 and took care of her. My cousin was able to save money and my grandma got the help she needed especially in her last dying year. but most importantly they both weren't lonely and bonded quite well together and had a sense of community.

Compare that to the old sick grandparent whose thrown into a nursing home where nobody gives a #### about them.

But hey, "Get a job or die", AmIRight?

"Get a job or die", ####, what a statement to your own flesh and blood.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Italy is as 3rd world as they come lol. That's where my parents are from, it kinda sucks over there....just thought I would add that from 1st hand experience. It's kind of a sink or swim thing. It's not meant to be ####ty or anything but there are soooo many "kids" still at home when they should be off starting their own life instead of depending on someone else. We have a 21 year old daughter that moved to Texas when she was 19. I miss her every day and wish I could see her every day but I'm also glad and very proud of her for making her own way and starting her own life, she is gonna be all right. My brother in law is the exact opposite of that. 39 years old and still relies on mom and dad all the time to help him get by because they always coddled him. Well dad is getting I'll now and I fear doesn't have much time left. What's he gonna do then? He will have nobody to fall back on and he never learned to take care of himself because he always had an easy out with somewhere to stay or a lil extra money when he decided things were getting a lil tough and he could just throw his hands in the air and go back home. I see both sides of it, while I wouldn't let my girls be out on the street I'm not going to let them just be irresponsible and depend on us until we die.

6. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I agree with you, 35cpm is archaic. 35cpm is mid 90s pay. BUT.... The "line" for the LTL training is a long wait, and from what I learned, the dock to driver at a few companies is more Dock than driving, no bennies....at least in Michigan.
    And, with experience, a driver jumps ahead in the "line".... so, how much experience is the OP getting while waiting?
    Pros and Cons....

7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    It’s not how much you make, it’s how much you need to be happy. Some people can make 700 a week and work very little and be happy being home every night.

It’s not the money, it’s the state of mind for some.

It’s also the type of work one does. Some people are happy fingerprinting loads all day. That’s not my gig personally. I like to work, but not LTL style. I would rather break down an rgn 10 times a day locally delivering CATS than stop at stores all day delivering pallets.

So much easier imo :cool:

authentic251 and GhentSaintPeters Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if you don't force your kids out at the legal age, they will never leave and enjoy free rent, food, shelter.

they have to make it on thier own, or die.

my wife and i had to find our own place to live when we first got married, and HAD NO HELP from her folks or mine to get started. heck, we each had to pay for our own schooling. no parental input for us.

my wife and i PAID thier education at various schools they wanted to go to and paid the first months rent and the security deposit...WE DID ENOUGH frankly, and if you don't like it,. go suck an egg.

the kids are WELL taken care of in our WILLS, for crying out loud, my wife and i were 2 married people all alone until they came along, now we are happy grand parents, and LIVE as a couple once again..

we spend money on gifts, and from time to time, have a HUGE family gathering at OUR house...WTF more do you want..??

LIFETIME support...???

screw that and screw you for responding, to what WE DID IN OUR HOME.....

88 Alpha and Western flyer Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    both sides of MY grand parents came from Italy as well, and to top off that..one side is Catholic, the other is Jewish...oy vey....!!!

as a result, we have the same feelings towards the children as do the Portuguese, French, and many other Mediterranean family way of doing things....."go out on your own, make your life"..

Western flyer and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. GhentSaintPeters

Jul 16, 2019
    You need to chill with your language, don't tell me to screw off, "buddy".

Nah, you don't have the same feelings towards your children as French families, that I can tell you. I'm French-American (Québécois), and none of my family would ever say "get a job or die" to one of our own.

FlaSwampRat, you made good points but Italy its not 3rd world. I'm not sure you've ever been to the 3rd world if you think it's what Italy is.

And yeah I realize things, in a way, suck over there with lack of economic opportunities. But, they do look after their own and there's more of a sense of community rather than the extreme individualism in places like the US or the UK. To each their own though.

Buddy, I may have been a bit harsh and I probably should've refrained from commenting on your posts, normally I do in these types of posts. I'm sorry for butting in and maybe using a bit harsh language.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  11. GhentSaintPeters

Jul 16, 2019
    Not to get off topic, but you ever thought of getting your Italian passport FlaSwampRat? You can get it by blood citizenship via your parents. My brother in law is Italian-American and I told him and my sister that they need to get Italian citizenship for my niece. She would be eligible for it because of my brother in law.

Italian citizenship doesn't just get you Italian citizenship, it gets you into the EU. An Italian citizenship means you can work, live, study and reside in any European Union country. For FlaSwampRat, it would give you access to nice retirement places but for your grandkids, it would give them educational and economical access to the 3rd largest economic block in the world behind China and the USA.

Think about what a gift that would be, to give to your grandkids, giving them two of the strongest passports in the world (USA/EU).

Well anyways my brother in law and sister just don't see the value in it though. Oh well.

tarmadilo and x1Heavy Thank this.
  12. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did not sire children on purpose (That I know of... ha..) to raise them in trucking. It is the absolute worst for them best case they will be truckers themselves and know nothing other than the USA and wherever.

Nursing homes are difficult places indeed. You are essentially warehoused. We have one where the front entry is frosted over completely. If the door opened a herd of those still walking confuse me with their son come to save them from the 3:00 pudding bowl prison. And follow me out to be lasso'ed by the staff with halidol on hand if they got frisky or emotional.

I will be dead than do a nursing home. Living will specifically lays out that they cart me home, find aids and hospice and done. There is no profit to rot 40 years in such a place. NONE. People will sometimes bleed hearts and say LIVE!! LIFE.. etc. ########. Ive live and continued to do so. But when its time, no nursing home.

As far as the .32 a mile pay, I have pounded the table over and over that it's 40 years ago. Students don't understand that they are being fed lines of BS and dream of Hooverville while trying to live like Trump. They come out of school needing repairs in training. If they get bent back into proper condition in a few weeks, give them a truck and CUT THEM LOOSE with a load. Put up or shut up. Hand holding for 4 months is BS. Wife and I were a full team in two weeks, FFE had a book in my pocket detailing 9 weeks of daily goals. "Tossed" she passed her acceptance test.

But what a salary. somewhere over 2000 a week net 1500 plus and who gives a #### when the sun comes up how many miles today. You got other thinking more important to the quality of service. And quality we gave them. Except one or two very carefully chosen "Nos" to Dispatch. (Chicago in particular... they can be really demanding, like a family of inlaws that wont leave your attic or your kitchen table dictating to you all day....) Memphis staff was a hoot, you could just hang out. When they have papers for a trailer, you WILL GET IT and "Kicked out.: yer late. get going."

HA...

13. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dual citizenship has value.

Ive a friend who is dual with Israel. Even though he raises his family to the sound of Iron Dome in the evening and artillery in the morning killing their enemies that constantly plot to destroy everything they are.

More in the UK. To be blunt they have lost their balls these last 30 years. I better shut up because it will be political or worse from that sentance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.