If you are purchasing a truck be aware of financing

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by crucar1800, Dec 23, 2017.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Your going to flip out if you ever buy a house with a 30 year mortgage. The amount of payment that goes to the principal of the loan the first 10 years is very small. It's not because your being screwed, It's because almost all loans are structured by the (rule of 78s)

It works like this, lets say you borrow money for 1 year, take the 12 months, add them together like this. 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12=78 (thus the name 78)

This is how you figure interest paid each month
    Lets say your total interest for the loan is $600.00
    1st mo. inst 12(length of loan) divided by 78 X $600=$92.30
    2nd mo 11 / 78 X $600 = $84.62
    3rd mo 10 / 78 X $600 = $76.92
    last months interest 1/ 78 X $600 = $7.69

Doesn't matter if the loan is 12 mo, 60 mo, or a 360 mo home loan. Add all the months together, your loan document says what your total interest will be. The longer the loan term, the more interest you pay in the early months.

This is what can get guys in trouble buying a truck when they don't understand interest and depreciation. In the first couple years you have lots of interest and depreciation to deduct. Then the last few years, very little interest and depreciation to deduct, but still, big truck truck payments to make and now tires and repairs are becoming an issue.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    rollin coal, crucar1800 and whoopNride Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    More paid towards interest than principal at the beginning of the loan? Yes, that's how loans work. That's EXACTLY how loans work. You must be new to loans.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Depreciation is the same each year. On the tax filing.
    Some loans you can reduce the total interest paid, making extra principal payments.
    Some loans don't allow the reduction of total interest paid. As calculated from the loan origination.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  5. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee

"Depreciation is the same each year"
    Not for everyone, only if they are using straight line depreciation. Not if they are using a double declining balance method or MACRS. I would say most first time buyers and many owners have no idea what their "tax man" is using or why. Accelerated depreciation is very common and useful just like a section 179.

A loan with a "pre payment" clause is a very poorly written loan. That should be one of the first questions "does this loan have a pre payment penalty?" Even poor credit should be able avoid that pit fall.

crucar1800 and xsetra Thank this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    All good points.
    Some buyers are so happy to get a loan, with the adrenaline rush, they don't even hear the terms.

A few years back, looked at a lease purchase for a trailer. Asked what the interest rate was. Salesman says around 8.5%. He says they can't quote in terms of a loan because it's not a loan. It's a lease purchase.
    Quoted payment schedule. Payments were about what I wanted.
    Took numbers down. Used the pencil and paper, interest calculated to 18.5%.
    Never talked to them again.

Bought a trailer financed by my local bank. 6.5%.

7. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    If the loan does not have “simple interest” written at the top, you are getting screwed.

8. crucar1800

crucar1800 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I am located in the central Florida region.

9. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    AAM...I could not agree with you more. compound interest is just interest over interest. not cool dude. not cool. haha.

10. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    windsmith. you are correct. I am new to the commercial loan field. We'll get the understanding of it slowly, but surely.

windsmith Thanks this.
  11. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    mtoo. thanks. yes I have seen the amortization on home loans. It is a ton of interest. which is the lender's profit. In my opinion, which is not knowledgeable, loans that surpass 250k seem somewhat difficult. chances are the property will be sold and a new 30 year will be obtained. never to own a property. unless you purchase the land. purchase a patent on the land. build your home or purchase a manufactured home and pay thousands connecting it to general services. The buyer may be better off building it brick on brick to soften the effects of natural disasters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.