If you had $70K to start on your own would you buy outright or finance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by staceydude, Jun 27, 2020.

1. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I prefer not to have payments. I don’t mind Paying monthly on insurance if needed but would be nice to buy outright and pay all insurance for the year up front.

Would you go older and avoid emissions? If you do will that limit being able to lease on with a carrier like landstar etc. and relegate you to spot market only?

I already have the money saved but I would not do anything probably for at least another year.

So if you bought outright what would you get? model, year, engine?

I do lean towards the 379, 389 W900 style trucks

thanks all

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    That sentence tells me you are not ready to go O/O.

bryan21384, Puppage and pavrom Thank this.
  4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    I you have 70k saved already, keep doing what your doing. You'll never have that much saved again.

5. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    Is anyone ever really ready? I am definitely not at this point, somI agree with you there. May never be. I will turn over every stone before I make a leap of that sorts. I know #### well I am not going to lease a truck from a carrier thinking I Am going to get rich quick. Nor do I think I would jump into O/O and start rolling in dough. I don’t even have a mentor in that area at this point so I am in the beginning stages.

There is a reason for me mentioning those particular trucks. Not necessarily that they are a must have but they do tend to hold decent resale value as compared to some others. I’m 54 years old. I won’t be doing this forever. One day I plan on not doing a #### thing lolol. I have Done and would do my own PMs and I want ease of maintenance. The heavy stuff will be for shop. PMs etc will be on me at my home or at my friends shop (lifelong diesel mechanic. And he would tell me go non-emissions but he is not a driver). I want to have accessible parts also. I am definitely open to insight or suggestions.

So if I get into a non-emission older truck what would you recommend? Finance a newer one with emissions or pay outright for a newer one and deal with the emissions when it happens?

what are you running? Newer financed truck? Older paid off truck? One on emissions or not? What is working for you?

Thanks

6. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    I would love to but things are changing and I am fiscally conservative. Have to have money to make money and I don’t want to be in a relationship with a financial institution. This is not all I have saved. This is what is available and leaves any overhaul cost or even heavy unexpected maintenance covered as well as more than enough to live off for 6 months if the shat hits the fan.

I have near zero debt. House payment and an almost paid for POV. My wife brings in more than enough for us to live off of as well.

7. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I understand pride of ownership and the challenge of operating a profitable business, but (JMO) Financially you may well be better off leaving your money in investments and keep adding to it. Drive someone else’s truck, save your money.

TankerP, jcrack08, LoneRanger and 5 others Thank this.
  8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Why is that?

Wespipes, blairandgretchen and 062 Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    70K will not get you anything new with a full warranty.

you might be able to pay that 70K for a good used, but a much shorter warranty may or may not be available, then what will you do when that 70k rig breaks down, and no more money...??

better save up MUCH MORE, or stay company driver, and buy a house instead.

10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Personally I would start looking at pre emissions trucks, rebuilt my w9 as my first truck, don’t know why they alone would tell someone your not ready to go O/o but whatever, one with an n14 or Detroit would still be pretty cheap to work on, even the 5ek cats of the late 90s weren’t that expensive, and you can actually get to everything without having the motor shoved up under the dash. I looked at Mercer and land star before I got my authority and they told me the truck had to support elogs, which my 97 will, but wasn’t interested in running them, first year insurance is about $23k with new numbers so it’s not cheap, I would go one of two ways but ultimately it’s your decision on what you want to do with your business

1. buy a $15-20k, 2000 and down truck, preferably a one or two o/o truck motor/trans/rears for the worst case and a DuPont overhaul will run you about 50k, they usually don’t all go at once so you can turn dollars in between And build back up, and you can build your truck the way you want it in the mean time

two: buy brand new with a warranty/payment and flip them over every 5-6 years before the problems start like the megas do.

option one is a little more work, but it’s easier to let a paid for truck sit then one with a big payment that has to run to turn money, and I had no desire to run 90-100k miles a year. Not having an eld is a nice bonus. I would not spend all 70k on a used truck as most of the time they are getting due for a motor anyways and 2008-2016ish were very bad years as far as emissions goes for break downs

11. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    I know that would not buy anything close to new.

This is not all I have saved. This is what is available and leaves any overhaul cost or even heavy unexpected maintenance covered as well as more than enough to live off for 6 months if the shat hits the fan.

I have near zero debt. House payment and an almost paid for POV. My wife brings in more than enough for us to live off of as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.