If you had to start over...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nashville, Mar 22, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    The one thing I wish I knew and fully understood back then is "It's just business"

Your employer may smile at you and be buddy buddy with you but if it profits them they will smile as they cut your throat. Their first and foremost goal is to make a profit for themselves. You are a means to do that and nothing more. But that's OK because it's just business.
    If they can pay you less they will. If they can getaway with crappy benefits they will. If you make a mistake and it'll cost them then you're gone. But again it is not personal. It's just business. They owe you nothing but the agreed upon wage, and you owe them nothing but the agreed upon work.

Be diligent, be hard working and most of all be professional. Step up when needed and be a company man. All while trying not to be walked on. Make yourself valuable, you are there only because you benefit them. It's just business.

If and when the time comes to move on to better opportunities don't waste time considering your current employer. Just leave. Always put your family before their company. After all it's not personal it's just business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
  4. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Post of the year to any new driver coming to this war....I mean career.

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I didn't realize you are about the same age as me

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Given the original series of questions....

1) You don't really have to start your driving career at a so-called, "mega carrier" to get initial experience and/or your first driving job (thank you again, Chinatown!!!). Having said that--starting out with a large corporation for your first taste/experience with big rigs does offer some very distinct, attractive advantages (especially for a new driver). But I won't bore everyone else here with them.

2) Running temperature-controlled (aka, "reefer") is, largely because of the abusive treatment from shippers, receivers and dispatchers, and also the crazy pick-up and delivery appointment times (all over the 24-hour clock), arguably the toughest major sector of the trucking industry (at least, in my opinion) in which to survive. I have the utmost respect for those who do it and thrive in it.

3) Think twice before taking a job that requires slip seating. Slip seating sucks--to put it delicately. Before accepting a driving job offer--make sure you know for sure if the position involves slip seating on any level, ever.

4) Trucking is not just a job--it's a lifestyle. As a driver, because of being gone for extended periods of time (local, regional, or OTR--it really doesn't matter), you will, in many cases, disappear off of society's radar. The concept of "work/life balance" in trucking is mostly an oxymoron expression--unless you're one of the fortunate few who lands one of those rare driving jobs that have something close to normal working hours.

5) Finding safe, legal and respectable parking at the end of one's shift is easily one of the biggest challenges drivers face, especially new(er) ones. Despite the fact that trucking is the backbone of the US economy, I don't see any serious effort being put forth anytime soon to address this problem head-on--despite what some politicians might say ("when all is said and done, a lot more is said than done").

6) A well thought-out truck-oriented GPS navigator can be worth its weigh in gold--if it's used correctly. I can't imagine doing things over again without one.

7) Trucking is not for sissies. Or the impatient. Or those who are easily hurt and/or offended and/or intimidated. Or for those who need constant contact with others. Or constant feedback/affirmation from others. Or those who don't like to be gone for extended periods of time. It's a great gig for introverts/loners, those who like to work alone, and those who aren't married and/or are childless. For those who really like to travel and drive, and for those who have a true zest for adventure, it can be a good choice.

8) Having an "office" with a "window" that has a constantly changing view (and no boss, or coworkers) is priceless.

Hope at least some of this helps....

--Lual

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  7. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    If I started over I would already know that reefer isn't worth the effort

8. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I wish I had started earlier instead of dicking around being a burnout working at ####ty ### kroger with a bunch of lifetime losers. The pros outweigh the cons for me by far and not only that but I really do like driving truck.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Paragraph 7......excellent advice

10. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    very simple, I would be an ELECTRICIAN. No doubt about it.

11. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.