If you have a HazMat Endorsement, read this! License renewal.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, May 13, 2022.

1. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Is this new? I had Hazmat on my liscense years ago and just let it expire… then, I moved to another state and have had a valid CDL license ever since… 15 years plus…. Nobody ever said anything…

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    In my state the hazmat and license expire on the same day …….. 5 years

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yes. I don't know when it changed, but it's probably 2-3 years. I've had my HM since 1994, renewed it multiple times. My event happened in late 2019

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'm currently waiting on my threat assessment from the TSA. 9 weeks and counting.
    Got a letter from my state dmv saying they have nor received any info from the feds and if I want to give up my hazmat to sign and return letter or if they do not hear back within 180 days they will just issue me a cdl without the hazardous endorsement. Nothing about cancellation.
    I've had my commercial d.l. w all endorsements
    since before we went to the cdl in late 80s?
    Last dozen I'm exclusively hazmat so yeah I'm gonna need it..lol
    TSA said there is a backlog and my state will give me a 90 day extension after my temporary (from march 8) expires...PIA

20220513_212618.jpg

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My state never even sent me a letter or mentioned that if I wanted to surrender my HazMat any action would be required. I was using my HM and started the process of doing the normal requirements to renew it. TSA sent my employer a letter a couple of months before my HazMat expired that upon receipt of the letter that my HazMat not only would not be valid, but my CDL would be canceled. I got the TSA letter that my HazMat was due to be renewed and the post 9/11 process to renew it. I think this was the second or third renewal I accomplished under the post Sept 11 procedures. Imagine my surpise when my boss called me and told me my CDL and HazMat were canceled !!!!!!! It was still at least a month, maybe two months before either my HM or my CDL expiration dates.

I've found another TN driver that went through this. Someone has also mentioned MI has the same procedure. I don't know which other states can do this. All during the renewal process I checked daily on the state website which allows you to see the status of my CDL and it never showed anything unusual.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Fingerprints plays a part also.

I added haz in the middle of 5 years. Prints and test. 2 1/2 years later i had to test again to renew my license.

So every 2 1/2 years I'm either Fingerprints or test and renewal..

This is all going to be fubar with the new 8 year licenses now. Thank goodness I'm getting rid of mine.

As for the op post and discussion. Isn't that the way it's been since the beginning? When the test and finger all started?

8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    MN drivers license expires every 4 yrs along with the hazmat.
    I do my DOT physical every 2 and they all expire in March.

I applied for renewal 2 business weeks before expiration as usual.
    Both the TSA and the DOT have taken my $.

Staff shortages or covid issues are things I don't control so if I am w/o a license for a time I will accept the unplanned vacation.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I did the fingerprinting in Sept and got the TSA approval in January. At the end it involved a TSA supervisor personally walking my stuff through. That was for TWIC. Hazmat last summer only took 9 weeks.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I renewed mine in November and it was done in a day ……. Lucky I guess

11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I did confirm with the state of Iowa that, in this state at least, your CDL is still valid after the hazmat expires and you do not to have the hazmat removed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.