If you live in Canada

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by kaf, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Coming back into the states was always more of a hassle for me too and when I spec’d out my new truck it some how ended up being to long to go north of the border.

Gutter and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I cross every week both ways. If you have a good company you ACE or ACI is done quickly and the broker does the clearance way before you get to the border. I ALWAYS have a clearance number from Customs before I get to the border, show my FAST card and just breeze thru. No issues. If your ducks are in a row it's easy.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sounds like you need to go to a company that will pay you for your downtime when they screw up.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    How long does it take to get to customs though? I cross there a couple time year to cross Canada to Buffalo and every time I go there is a line of trucks half way back to Water St. Or is it just the time of day I hit it, as I tend to leave the house about the same time of day when I do?

6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    If it’s in the middle of the afternoon, that could be it. I’m thinking it has something to do with shift change on the Canadian side. I think the lunchtime shift change takes a longer than normal amount of time to complete.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    The odd time I hit there in the middle of the day I have lost 30-45 minutes. I have sat longer, but it's rare and only when there is an issue on the bridge, US customs computers down etc. 99% it's a breeze. I leave Halifax, end of day 1 at 152 in Qc, end of day 2 I cross late, breeze thru, and crash at the Michigan rest area for the night. Short day to Chicago then.

ZVar Thanks this.
  8. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I cross every week, sometimes a cpl times a week. Haven’t had a single problem. Pigeon river, Sault Ste. Marie, sarnia. Never an issue. In or out. Must be my charming personality. :D

Hazmat Cat Thanks this.
  9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Been crossing five days a week for 20 years. Drama a few times, brokers screw up on occasion, it happens. It’s not nearly as bad as folks make it out to be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.