IFTA sticker

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by CDubbs, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    That's what I figured. All our tractors and trailers are Indiana. Well there's a few older trailers that are Tennessee and way back 17-20 years ago the tractors were still registered in Michigan where the companies headquarters is, but those blue Michigan plates are all gone now.

CDubbs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You don't need a IFTA sticker if you don't cross state lines in TN. I think some sates still require you to get one though.

If you don't have a IFTA sticker and do happen to cross state lines, you'll get a hefty fine if caught, if you don't purchase a temporary fuel permit.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Huddly

Huddly Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    I just bought my first truck. I'm in Ohio and mostly doing local work but came across a short run to Indiana that'll pay the bills. I have my DOT and Puco numbers. Getting ready to start the MC# process. Can someone explain to me in blunt English the MC# process and the IFTA sticker process? The Ohio DMV is too general in their description. I'm a one truck, me driving operation.

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I have no idea of the application process in OH but in TN it's a simple one page form to sign up with IFTA. The main thing you'll have to do is start keeping up with mileage in each state and fill out the quarterly reports.

They will also want trip reports. TN does not require me to do trip reports on local driving, as long as I don't cross state lines. They do want to see detailed trip reports any time I go into another state or go past the 100 mile radius.

You'll also need to sign up with IRP. If you've done your IFTA reports and record keeping well, you can use that info to complete your IRP renewal.

6. Huddly

Huddly Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    I haven't even looked at the IRP yet. Got the IFTA application sent in today. I mostly will drive local with a few trips to Indy. From what I can tell it's best to buy most my fuel in the state I put more miles in. Does that sound about right?

7. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    Related Question:
    I've always just put the new year ifta sticker over the old. I see some guys with a row of years side by side. Is that what your supposed to do? Or do they eventually want to cover the whole truck in ifta stickers?

deathB4decaf and Mr Ed Thank this.
  8. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Before IFTA & IRP, we had stickers and license plates plastered all over the cab....Some states wanted them on the driver's door, some on the pax door, some on the front, OH wanted there's in the lower right side of the windshield and on & on....

Attached Files:

9. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    Daum! U been at this awhile. It's so easy for us now. Automatic trucks,ifta,pre pass,cell phones,gps...

10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You usually get your new IFTA stickers around the first of December but you still have to display your current sticker until the year end. That's why most people have at least two displayed. I always just stick the new one over the old one on January 1 but I think you have a grace period of a month or so before you have to display your new one.

IMO, it really doesn't matter where you buy your fuel. You pay fuel tax for the miles driven in any given state so you pay it no matter what. Now it does make a difference if you have to pay or get a refund at the end of the quarter, but at the end of the day, it's the same total amount of tax money you pay. When I need fuel, I get it, and don't really care what state I'm in at the moment.

I've been running all my trucks on a temporary permit since May 1. The state of TN screwed up my IRP renewal. I won't bore everybody with the details but it boils down to the State loosing my IRP renewal and the check I sent them. I've got proof the check cleared my bank though, they just don't have any record of it. TN Motor Carrier department has some big problems. At least they did send me temporary permits for all my trucks, free of charge, until they get the mess straitened out.

11. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I worked for the federal government, my truck was in the shop so they rented a Ryder truck for me . I got a brand new tractor and I noticed that it didn't have an ifta sticker, I tried to get one but told they were out.
    The scales were open in Ct . I got a red light and 2 troopers came out and inquired about the sticker, I told them that Ryder didn't have any, no excuse they said. I then told them that the trailer had a US Goverment plate on it and we don't pay fuel tax.
    One cop looked at the other and said " I'm not getting involved in this " and told me to leave ( not exactly his words ) thought it was funny .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.