Illegal to reuse contaminated brake shoes?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Ronman105, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Like the time I broke a u-joint and the TA in Brookville PA tried to weld the new u-joint to my driveshaft. I put a stop to it once I saw the sparks flying under my truck.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Corporate wont allow them to press in new races. They will only install a new hub assembly. Wich is ridiculous since at a dealership they have no problems pressing in new races into an old undamaged hub.

Rideandrepair and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    That's the TA that wanted me to install a new hub assembly.

Rideandrepair and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    So your bearings were bad too? A leaking seal doesn't damage bearings unless you run completely out of oil.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Yes bad bearings.

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Keep in mind your not dealing with actual real mechanics.
    Replacing the hub seems a bit extreme for a bad seal, but without examining the hub no one can say, If it over heated it may have had cracks in it, just saying, the real issue is oil soaked linings. They should always be replaced if they were oil soaked, Im not talking about a couple of fingerprints that can be cleaned but saturated linings, the oil will seep back out when they get hot, Smokin'.
    I have clean up linings on personal vehicles, but the are not weighting 80K.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I just did new seal and bearings/ races on my steer. Shoes were like new. Oil barely got on edges.They cleaned up good. Oil soaked? Absorbed into material? I don’t think so. Looking at the sides ofshoes, you can see if it’s absorbed, or just surface oil. Truckstop’s won’t change races, at least not on aluminum hubs. Proper book procedure, involves heating hub in an oven, till race falls out on its own, then dropping new one in. Of course you can pound them in or out, like I did. As long as hubs not worn causing race to spin. But that’s their liability concern. That’s why you have to watch them, they’ll take it apart, and refuse to put it back together, unless you buy a new hub, not available till tomorrow or Monday of course. That’s why I do my own, a few bad experiences with wheel ends. Too many different practices. They’ll all say, never had one come back. That’s because when it failed the Truck was 1000 miles down the road.

RefMata and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.