I'm a carrier - Planning to give/sell ownership of my trucks to my drivers (Good idea or Bad?)

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by acroslot, Jun 18, 2017.

1. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep, I agree.

Although I think his plan could work for the right individual, and I do think it is somewhat intriguing/interesting; the main problem is very average to low average pay, with no benefits, 1099, and average equipment. And this all stems from low revenue and small, tight profit margins.

And another thing that scares me, small profits usually means equipment is not impeccably maintained. I don't know about this specific owner, but someone not making much money, usually can't fix everything he would if he had the money.

acroslot and LoudOne Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. acroslot

acroslot Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Thank you guys! This is been very informational and helpful. This idea had been churning in my head for a while so it's good to hear the driver's point of view on this.

I just recently found these forums, so I'll try and be more active. I'll definitely keep everyone updated in case I do end up trying this out with someone. It'll probably won't be exactly as I had initially lined out in my first few posts. I'm going to try incorporate all the feedback I received here into redesigning this. (i.e. better pay/benefits, maybe try this with a newer truck, figure out tax and liability/bankruptcy scenarios etc)

Cheers!

gentleroger and tinytim Thank this.
  4. Ben Grinev

Ben Grinev Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    You make it seem like it's a bad thing, you do know that every single owner operator is taking on a risk to attempt making profits? Therefore makes them entrepreneurs Your boss is an entrepreneur, or if you don't have a boss, then you are an entrepreneur; attempting to make profits.

acroslot Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow you really need to rethink this.

I'm not going to sugar coat my comments - so here is what I see.

Unless it is a partnership that is formed, the driver will get screwed royally.

The financial liabilities that a driver holds will not allow them to take advantage of the taxes, LLC is not going to do it. Once they formed the LLC, they become a contractor, not an employee and you can't tell them what to do or how to do it. They can't write off a truck payment legally unless it is a buyout lease and only then it has to be done a certain way and can't be done as an employee. The profit sharing scheme will also screw them in taxes because they are not a stake holder in the company you OWN, they are an employee.

The contract is meaningless because of how bankruptcy works, they are not a creditor and not subject to part of the assets unless there is a partnership or a co-ownership of the vehicle (asset). You would have to bond the money some how, escrow won't work because it is not insured.

YOU have little risk involved, they carry all the risk with a loss incurred by your actions. It may be your money up front but you are taking theirs to pay for a truck that you already get a ridiculously high ROI on their work (really $4k in profit?) and theirs is zero BUT the biggest problem is that they can't see that ROI for the payment they are making. You are taking the depreciation from that truck, you are using it to offset the taxes while at the same time they can't write off the payment.

Who would want an old POS truck after 4 years?

Buying used junk is not a way to make a profit long term, it is a way to make profits short term and before some of you start with "I've got a million miles" crap, you are not running/owning a fleet or offering leasing ownership options.

Driver retention isn't about what you offer, right now at a $1.65 you are offering low rates, get off your butt and look for work at a consistent $2.25 a mile and bring up your driver rates.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    an entrepreneur starts many different business and when each one fails, starts yet another DIFFERENT business. an owner operator stays focused on the business he/she starts up. entrepreneurs are gamblers more so than an ordinary person starting up a business.

if YOU want to go and work for a gambler, be my guest.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    entrepreneur is an overused word, I am beginning to hate it.

cnsper, LoudOne, redoctober83 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    :yes2557:

9. TheRipper

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    @Ridgeline would you at least agree that it could be an interesting business concept if done correctly? And a decent way for a driver to buy out a truck (granted at a fair price for decent equipment, somehow adjusting for depreciation)

10. LoudOne

LoudOne Medium Load Member

Not at those rates/ages

11. TheRipper

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah. I agree with that. Just think the concept is kind of interesting, if done fairly for the driver.

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.