im a complaining rookie, am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheRedskinsWay, Mar 12, 2012.

1. NSBGearjammer

NSBGearjammer Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sunshine State
    You could try a Redneck A/C. Buy a cooler(cupholder top coleman @walmart works best and <$20 and 6" 12v dash fan. cut holes in top(2-2" and 1-6"). Mount fan blowing into cooler and fill with ice.WALLAH! I used this for camping and in the back of firetrucks with no AC and it worked pretty good. add dryer flex for directing the cool under your sheets or to blow directly on you. Pieces of foam over fan and in holes allows cooler to still be used as....well, a cooler. Good luck with whatchoodo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Replay

Replay Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    I feel for ya OP. I haven't had to deal with a sleeper with no AC or heat in a long time but that's partly why I quit OTR and went local. Berlin NH, 10 below, stranded in a blizzard 3 days with no heat was the last straw for me. Hot and humid can be just as deadly, especially if you're having to drive tired because of it. Been there done that too in the deep south summers. Since I don't know how your truck works my only advice is call your co mechanics, or talk to any TS mechanic you can find. Beg, bribe them to help. If you find you can't get heat/AC for whatever reason, be prepared to quit. Shut down, call dispatch and say you can't safely drive because it's too dam cold/hot to sleep. If they value you or safety at all they'll have a solution. If not, find a company who cares or go local like I did. Not as glamorous (LOL) as OTR but trust me you get used to a nice clean private shower and a big comfy bed real fast. And the pay will probably be better as well. Good luck, stay safe driver!

4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    ahhhhhhh when i drove the model b mack 10 wheeler from boston to baltimore in jan no heat blankets wrapped around me while driving------1974
    i thought i was in heaven in my cab over kw with a 425 cat in it one lil bunk 2 guys no problem---1982
    25 years working on the fishing boats no showers rinsing off with the salt water deck hose 30 inch wide bunks with 12 inch sides so u didnt roll out with the waves

NOW I am laying on my bunk in a 2011 KW T700 typing on the computer Oh wait a sec I am a little cold let me raise the temp on my APU ok that's better ENUF said

Pay your dues this aint mommas tit

Logan76 and 6Shooter Thank this.
  5. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Some nice "one-upsmanship" comments going on here. Let me chime in:

Back in my day we only had horse drawn carriages. We were often attacked at night by swarming bands of rustlers. If you didn't get shot or stabbed it was a "good day".

And above all.......WE LIKED IT!

dancnoone Thanks this.
  6. Replay

Replay Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Arrr maties. List'n to ol cap'n pete the troll. He done his time, paid his dues. Now he wants you sissies to suffer the same cruel fate. The pain separates men from boys yaarrrr :biggrin_25523:

bigjoel Thanks this.
  7. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Thats nothing!When I first started I had a wagon,and a retarded three legged mule,that farted in my face,mile after mile,and I liked it.
    We didnt have no roads back then,and that was just fine with me.
    No maps neither!I drove that mule at night.Navigated by the stars,drunker n hell.Not me,the mule,he was also an alcoholic.
    During the day we rested.The mule would fire up the chainsaw,and cut down a tree on top of us to keep us cool from the summers heat.
    Sure,it hurt having a tree fall on you every day before going to sleep,but things were different back then.
    You boys need to sac up,and be glad you aint sleepin under a tree,
    buncha sissies :toothy3:

brsims Thanks this.
  8. Replay

Replay Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    What makes you think OP ain't sleepin under a tree right now? A burning tree. A tree he had to light on fire to stay warm, you cold hearted sob ya

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Hey I drove one of those Petes when I was solo. I loved it. It's much nicer than the Cascadia. I'm 6'3"

You have 2 closets. I hung up my shirts in one. Put my folded pants on the bottom. The other closet I made some shelves out of masonite.

I also made a wood shelf and velcro'd it across the foot of the bunk from the top of the closet to the molding on the other side. I hung my tv from that.

All in all it was nice and cozy.

10. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i didnt even know i was sufferin back then. the cabover international with just a 671 in it was fun overloaded pulling route 84 from hartford to mass pike hmmmmmm i musta been about 28 no wonder it was ok

11. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    push the clutch in and see how long of a stick you need then go cut a broom handle or the like and find a plae to anchor it to

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.