I'm a stone cold rookie, gonna work the texas oil fields

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by paulcouto, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Concentrate on working SMART, not HARD. :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. paulcouto

paulcouto Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Ok and I'm off. Gonna drive now from cali to sonora texas. I dont have internet but if I can wi-fi at a motel, i'll update. Not sure but I think it should take me 25 hours of actual driving time. I'll definately stop and get a motel before monday night football starts and then finish my drive on tuesday......interview on wednesday.

Thanks everyone and be safe.

4. paulcouto

Sep 7, 2011
    YES SIR!!!!!

5. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Good luck to you. I've been around the patch and pipeline constrcution for over 55 years.

6. Hanzerik

Hanzerik Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I went the same route after graduating Sage in June. Hired on with a local company at the end of June for hauling water.

In my opinion it's fun dirty work. Every day is a little different, and I have only been doing it a little shy of three months. It can be a little monotonous at times when hauling water to the same location over and over again from the same water well, but the roads constantly change due to weather, traffic, and lighting. Those potholes/ruts you see during the day may look totally different during the night. And that nice newly graded smooth lease road may turn into one big 5 mile long rut after a rain storm and some heavy trucks using it.

The company I work for is a Servicing company; we work fresh, production, flowback water, Frac and Poseidon tanks, heavy equipment, crane, frac and oil heating. It can be dirty hard work at times. But overall I enjoy it...keeps me fit, and is interesting to work different aspects of the Oilfield.

And the money is good.

7. paulcouto

Sep 7, 2011
    ok i'm in texas now. I drove about 22 hours straight and i got another 5 hours of driving left. I'm in a motel in the middle of no where. Oh wait, I'm off of I-10 a few miles east of some border patrol check. They had dogs and asked if i was an american. I think the turn off I made was sierra blanca. Its a pretty nice motel called americana inn.

I saw the neatest boulder formations in a little stretched on I-10, i think it was in new mexico? If youve driven it, you cant miss it.

Saw a ton of swift and werner trucks. I cursed under my breath every time I saw one.

Then I saw one schneider tanker? It was an orange color? Thought they were just OTR??

Anyways, hot day, long drive, I'm gonna crash. ####, they got used tractor lots here like cali has used car lots lol.

8. paulcouto

Sep 7, 2011
    ok, made it to sonora tx. Got an interview tomorrow with nabors. Sonora is a neat little town and it was pretty cool to drive down 277 and actually see the companies I researched.

I'll update tomorrow.

rookietrucker Thanks this.
  9. Shotsjc

Shotsjc Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Good luck man! I just got my cdl too. I am looking to go that route myself so I am eagerly reading your posts!

10. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    When you see those pumpkin trucks, doesn't it make you feel good that yopu're gonna work in the patch? :biggrin_2559:

11. joplinlocal

joplinlocal Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    You can't be serious :biggrin_25512: I can only think of a few things I'd never tell my boss... and that's definitely one of them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.