I'm a stone cold rookie, gonna work the texas oil fields

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by paulcouto, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Middle of nowhere TEXAS
    Thats the problem with a lot of forums. Full of armchair commando's

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EB 700

EB 700 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Mid GA
    Got a question...I've been out of trucking for about 12 years (3+ years OTR) but I'm still licensed with all endorsements. Since 99 I've been self-employed in real estate but with the market being what it is and the kids grown and gone it's looking like it's time to make a change. I just submitted an app with Nabors but I'm wondering if I've been out too long to be considered and whether I might should look into one of those refresher courses? Would that help or matter at all? Or should I just head out and knock on some doors? I'd hate to get all the way out there and find out I'm unemployable like I apparently am with the OTR companies I've talked to. There is a refresher course offered in Savannah but the deadline for the August class is tomorrow. Thanks

4. Bikerdave

Feb 23, 2012
    Middle of nowhere TEXAS
    A few of the major companies may out you through their own refresher courses. Thats how bad they need people in the oilfield. I have never in my life seen such a high turnover

5. Want2

Want2 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Why do you think that is? People leave for more money or they just can't take the hours?

6. Bikerdave

Feb 23, 2012
    Middle of nowhere TEXAS
    A lot of them leave for more money. Some dont like the lifestyle and others miss their families too much. Housing is another factor

7. Gisquid

Gisquid Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Fort Carson, CO
    I got a call from Paul today!! He asked me to send this out to everyone who follows this thread!! Through a burning bush he sends this message out...I'm is killing it out here!! I've been doing 20hrs a day so I'm not really sorry for not keeping up with this thread!! He presented a really great question during our conversation!! If he isn't the baddest mf out there then he wants to know who is?? Who is putting in 280hrs a pay period?? And for how long?? Hopefully, he gets something to take care of that burning bush!!:biggrin_2554:

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  8. Bikerdave

Feb 23, 2012
    Middle of nowhere TEXAS
    Gonna be a good paycheck for sure....Congrats Paul

9. kwayne88

kwayne88 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Leesville, La.
    Used to work in the gulf for a drilling company. We were doing a well for a company called ADTI. Had an old salty company man that held to the belief the cheapest thing in the patch was labor.

When we nippled up or down the BOP's he had both shifts working. If it was you tour to be off you got paid two for one on the hours, meaning if you worked four hours over your twelve you got paid for eight.

Pulled a couple hitches where were were drilling short holes and running a lot of casing. Out of the fourteen shifts, eleven were 18 hours. Actual time worked in two weeks was 234 hours, but got paid for 300 hours.

That was one hell of a check.

I was a young buck full of myself, but even though it took a week at home to recover from that.

10. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    Maybe a hot lil mamacita lol

11. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    A guy I worked with (50 yr old man) and who trained me has been working those hours for the last 18-24 months straight...never missing a day and still counting. While everyone else is breaking on weekends, he's doing yard duty. It wasn't uncommon for us to work 20-40 straight hours during my training days. We would get back to the yard after working 20 hrs and he would start washing his truck...12am!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.