I'm a vet wanting to become an owner operator. Where should I start?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gnometoad, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I haven't read any of the replies so sorry if this was brought up.

What does being a vet or that you were a 62N combat ENG have to do with it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Combat engineers driving combat vehicles with thick armor glass, no headlights, Night vision that reflects back at you because of the thick armor glass, on unimproved roads that are sometimes narrower than the vehicle which means the tires go a little bit over the edge, all while under fire or trying to avoid improvised explosive devices. Pretty much backing into the dock will be the easiest thing combat engineer could ever even imagine doing. I would only assume he is trying to imply that he is not a window licker.

Face it trucking is one of the easiest professions in America. Most drivers probably drive because they couldn’t do anything else in life. Then they try O/O, fail, and cry that it was difficult. Many that succeed Are obsessed with success is done by the company, roadside support, trucks that tell you when you left your lane, and about everything is made for a person that is barely able to stay in their lane and cabs to accommodate 400 pound people. Being an owner operator these days it’s not much of a step up. 2021 at 2-4 dollars a mile is not what it used to be. Bookkeeping can be done with QuickBooks and link directly with an accountant, fuel discounts via apps where you can pick the lowest cost, finding loads on apps, I can go on and on how this profession is dumb down.
    Yes it is good to get experience as a company driver. But not everybody needs handholding. Some people decide to excel in their endeavors. It only takes vision, discipline, and Jesus. Don’t cut this 0P short. You probably have no clue what he is capable of.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Todd_Walker Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I can only say what I did. Drive for someone else. Run the Truck as if it’s yours. Keeping track of costs, figuring out how much you’d make. When you think you’ve figured it out enough. Go for it.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.