I'm going to buy a used Schneider Truck

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by johnnyman1099, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Interesting story, very good documentation. I bought a used truck once. In 1976, a 1974 White Road Commander. 290 Cummins with 10 speed. Poor maintenance on a truck with only 120,000 miles almost bankrupted me in my first year as an owner operator. I have bought 4 new trucks in the past 40 years. 1978, 1984, 1990, and 2000. I still have the 2000 with 1.7 million miles on it and counting. When you purchase brand new and get the oem shop manuals detailing the proper maintenance procedures, and follow them you have a real good chance at making it. The wild card of course are the emission systems problems that even the manufacturers themselves cannot figure out. Let alone the automated manuals.
    Fuel is cheap. Burn the extra fuel for the moment until you get some money in the bank. Getting a shop to effect repairs for the complaint of "poor fuel mileage" is like writing them a blank check. They will just guess with your money.
    Keep it up. Good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Check your air filter.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I drive a 1995 fld,i have never been towed or stranded. i can rebuild entire truck fo 20k,everything but the rattlez,i go into cali to ,never been bothered but i do print out a3 day temp pass just in case but never send it in.

nax Thanks this.
  5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I like this....

[​IMG]

6. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Any update on how the truck is running? I'm considering one of the ex tanker trucks and the prices have dropped enough that it makes it interesting.

7. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    @johnnyman1099 any updates? How'd the truck running? Schneider has 2013's for sale under $40,000, but I'm really scared on how begins on maintenance they are. I've been trying to hold out for a glider, but I may not be able to wait that long.

8. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Update on my Ex-Schneider 2011 Cascadia.

So i have been running this truck for 7 months now. Put around 70,000 miles in truck. Total maintenance on this truck is going to be about $25,000. Havent got the grand total but it is close.

Quick list repairs done:
    - Emission related issues on DEF, sensors, error codes, in shop over 10 times in first 3 months. Cost over $10k.
    - changed out all 8 drives tires after going 12k miles on the new Schneider recaps because the recaps were popping. Lost 3 tires in 3 day. Cost $3500 which includes road calls.
    - Changed 2 new steer tires at 35k miles because of bad kingpin. $1200
    - fueltank mounts broke- $1200
    - Starter- $750
    - Waterpump- $850
    - brakes- $800
    - 3 oil change, PM with extra stuff like airfilters, lucas, etc -$1800
    - suspention bar on drives $500
    - Turbo leaking oil, blowby oil recycler leaking- $2400.

These are just some of the expenses i can remember. Add the oil, cooliants, additives, extra fuel filters, supplies and can quickly add up to thousands.

All in all, I think this truck is ok. If only the emission crap would work as it should, i could of been far ahead. The downtime is a killer and each time it went to the shop, average turnaround time was same day service, yet, i had to cancelled many good paying loads. Atleast i had no tow bills. I always fix known issues before booking and picking up a load.

I paired this truck with a rented all aluminium flatbed trailer and have been doing good overall. I just returned the rented flatbed trailer ($950/month) and bought in cash an all aluminium 53' stepdeck trailer for $18k.

The first 3 months were tough because of the emission issues and needed new tires. Thank goodness flatbed rates this year is at all time high. My average loaded miles were around $3/ mile on legal flatbed loads and gross around 6k to 8k per week out.

ChicagoJohn and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  9. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I am sure the 2013 would be much better than the 2011 since the 2011 is the first year DEF was introduced and it has lots of design flaws.

Whatever you decides, make sure to have good revenue or you may not survive long. The number one reason why most owner operator fail is because of these newer emission related problems. Any DEF equip truck that has been sitting may have clogged or bad system and Sensors are so sensitive. This problem exist with all fleets, makes, and models.

bzinger and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  10. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    This is not my first rodeo. Current truck has cost me about $50,000 in repairs in the first 2 years. I know the 2011 years were hit or miss on def issues and honestly, I'd rather get one of the gliders from the tanker division. The sales rep is saying there aren't any more, but I still see them on road. Any deal I negotiate will include virgin tires, I haul hazmat tanks, I'm not going to run a truck with recaps.

I guess I wanted to know how it worked out after a couple months have gone by.

Thanks for the update.

Btw, did you ever figure out the bad fuel millage? @johnnyman1099

11. Bike rider

Bike rider Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I am on Schneider's email list, I have cut and pasted an email I received this morning about trucks they have available for sale, you may want to inquire with a different salesperson.

2013 48" Sleepers (Light Weight)
    Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 60
    Miles: 200,000 - 570,000
    Color: Orange
    Price: $40,000 - $46,000
    Locations: Gary, IN | Harrisburg, PA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.