I'm interested in becoming a trucker

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Menchaca0807, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Menchaca0807

Menchaca0807 Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Hello I have done my homework on this subject but I just want to know from actual truckers what is it like what expenses do you have, what's the hardest part of all this is it leaving family or making truck payments, I just want honest opinions from individuals on how being a trucker is what your life consist of, how do you deal with large truck deprecating rate, just tell me it all I need to know what I'm getting into

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    The most difficult part for me, was learning to drive it confidently. when you first start, you feel nervous. That nervousness will make you hesitate at a crucial moment, and can lead to an accident.

just going into this, you don't want to own your own truck. You don't even know if you like this job enough to commit to something that will potentially bankrupt you.

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    You've done your homework.

You need to know it all.

Both of those statements can't be true. Look around. Use the search feature. Read a bunch of threads; you have a lot of options and a good variety of different types of trucking to choose from in the main forum list.

If this topic were a horse, it was beaten to death, buried, exhumed, beaten again, set on fire and its ashes assaulted once more for good measure.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Just you mentioning about leaving the family, that alone means your not gonna make it OTR .

Kenworth 4life Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a company driver for some trucking company and run the roads for a couple of years, then make a decision on what you think is best.

Do you have a cdl yet?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You conflict yourself in the post. Do you know everything about trucking? Or do you need to know what it is like? Apparently leaving family and battling 2400 dollar a month or more truck payments, then insurance, then fuel, then tires, then damage, then then then... In your first year? Where for everyone of me 10 have been sent home or fired for accidents preventable?

Which is it?

There are thousands, no.. tens of thousands of posts on this forum about trucking. Hundreds of truckers have posted good and bad things here.

Im not your opponet, you seem new and for me that means NO buying new trucks right now. You need to learn the industry first. And survive your first few years with a good record and health intact.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You have to like driving. Driving out west is fun but the northeast not so fun.

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    As TROOPER to TRUCKER said Well!!
    First off, your homework will never be done,! Just when you think you have it all figured out, (surprise) you don't!!
    If you are a company driver your expenses will be low, if you are an o/o then everything is an expense!!
    If you are worried about leaving your family before you've even started then you shouldn't be a truck driver! Truck payment is the minimal thing to worry about, it's keeping the truck running and maintenance, (you could make a 1500$ payment on a Monday and have a 2500$ breakdown on Tuesday)
    What my life consists of is paperwork, driving, Crappy truck stops, knowing the law in every state, knowing the mechanic's of the unit so I can fix it at 3am at 20below with no cell signal!
    Listen trucking isn't a job it's a calling, it's not something to take lightly, you get out what you put in!! FYI there's no better smell then a diesel engine running on a cold crisp morning!

Diesel Dave, Chasingthesky and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.